Question Black screen after RAM Upgrade Satellite C50-ASPF5303FA

Nov 8, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'm here to ask for some help regarding a RAM upgrade I've been trying to do on my laptop. I know it's quite old but at this moment, it's not possible for me to buy a new one so I'm trying to improve it. I've bought 2 Kingston RAM memories (8GB each). Separately, both memory worked but when I put them togheter I get a black screen. Also, I'm not finding a way to make any upgrades/updates on the drivers since I'm an ubuntu user and Toshiba / Dynabook only offers drivers for windows.

The specs from the RAM:
KVR16LS11/8WP
8GB 2Rx8 1G x 64-Bit PC3L-12800
CL11 204-Pin SODIMM

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hello everyone!

I'm here to ask for some help regarding a RAM upgrade I've been trying to do on my laptop. I know it's quite old but at this moment, it's not possible for me to buy a new one so I'm trying to improve it. I've bought 2 Kingston RAM memories (8GB each). Separately, both memory worked but when I put them togheter I get a black screen. Also, I'm not finding a way to make any upgrades/updates on the drivers since I'm an ubuntu user and Toshiba / Dynabook only offers drivers for windows.

The specs from the RAM:
KVR16LS11/8WP
8GB 2Rx8 1G x 64-Bit PC3L-12800
CL11 204-Pin SODIMM

Thanks in advance for the help!
1) What type of memory is currently in the laptop? You might be able to run CPU-Z and it provide you with specifics of the DIMM(s). How many are currently installed?
2) Are you looking to run the old memory AND the new memory or just the new memory?
3) Being on Ubuntu you are going to be limited to the distros and other sources for drivers that people have written themselves for the different hardware out there.
4) According to Crucial's memory compatibility tool, that laptop supports PC3-12800. You've got the PC3L-12800 which is the low-voltage variant of that DIMM. That might explain why 1 DIMM works fine but not both if the motherboard doesn't support it.

TRENDING THREADS