Black screen after "Starting Windows".

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Recently I upgraded my laptop's CPU to a faster Core 2 Duo and a 120GB SSD as my previous HDD was old and slow which resulted in my formatting my laptop. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium and eveything worked fine for about 3 days, I then started installing stuff that I need like Chrome, Skype, Discord, Steam ect.

Then I did a Windows Update which required a restart so I did it, everything was fine until I got a black screen after Starting Windows part. I still hear the sounds in the black screen. The weirdest part is, when I'm in the black screen, all I have to do to fix it is to plug in a external monitor, wait until it displays the screen and then unplug it and then the screen will work perfectly fine on my laptop until I turn it off or put it to sleep. It's very annoyning and I tried all methods that I saw on Google and still nothing.

I hope someone knows what the issue is, thanks.

Solution

I think its a driver issue, if it's booting fine in safe mode. Try booting into safe mode and uninstalling all the drivers and then reinstall them and try again.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017
What is your laptop? If its using integrated graphics instead of a dedicated card the new CPU could be the issue. Make sure any BIOS updates are installed as it's possible your BIOS revision doesn't support the new CPU, the board may not even support that chip at all.

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
It's HP 6730B, it's a older laptop with only intergrated graphics.

The CPU that I upgraded to was on the supported list and people said the CPU is supported by the latest BIOS (which was already on the latest BIOS even before the upgrade)

I installed all the drivers and the laptop worked fine for about 2-3 days until I started installing stuff like Chrome ect. which is when this issue occured. I also forgot to say in the main post that the laptop boots fine without a black screen in safe mode.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I think its a driver issue, if it's booting fine in safe mode. Try booting into safe mode and uninstalling all the drivers and then reinstall them and try again.

Solution