Question Black screen and GPU fans revving up ?

Yesitsme2

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem that keeps happening lately, my screen will suddenly turn black and the gpu fans start raving up at which point I have nothing else to do aside from restarting. It happens completely random with no pattern emerging and I don't know what to do. There is no debug file saved but Event viewer tells me this

"The event logging service encountered an error while initializing publishing resources for channel RemoteDesktopServices-RemoteFX-SessionLicensing-Debug. If channel type is Analytic or Debug, then this could mean there was an error initializing logging resources as well."

Yesitsme2

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
CPU: Intel Coffee Lake, Core i7 9700 3.0GHz
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS XS OC 6GB GDDR6 192-bit
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B365M D3H
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16
Primary SSD: SSD ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

event logging services is one of the first services started. This would mean that most likely you have some overheating/power problem with your GPU and the machine rebooted when your motherboard detected the problem.

cpu release second half of 2019
I would blow out any dust form cpu, motherboard, and GPU
confirm all the fans are working, Run tools to make sure the fans are running at 100%
and check temps, and confirm power supply voltages are correct in bios if you can.

for older system, I would run microsoft autoruns and confirm that you do not have multiple copies for msi afterburner running. it is pretty common for people to update afterburner without removing the old copy. The setup changed the directory structure and you can get a extra copy running.

2019 system most likely will need a bios and drivers update to get fix for the hacker published CPU hacks in 2019 and 2021
(guess a new round of hacks has been released and new updates should be expected in 2023)