Question Black screen and white underscore while starting Windows 10

FaboPico

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
My boot order is Sata 0: SSD (that has Windows installed) and then Sata 1: HDD. The SSD is in the Sata 0 port and the HDD is in the Sata 1 port I'm sure. I checked the boot order again and even reset my BIOS settings to default and the boot order just stayed the same meaning it's probably right. What could be the problem?

FaboPico

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
What did you change just prior to the issue occuring? Have you installed or removed anything recently?
I don't remember what I changed prior to it but definetly something I remember. I was in BIOS and then exited and this started happening. My PC works fine tho and as I said I reset my BIOS settings but the undrscore thing is still there.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The underscore indicator is usually because the BIOS can't find a bootable storage device. This can happen when swapping out storage devices or corrupting the boot sector.

Can you manually select a boot device and then have the system start?

FaboPico

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
The underscore indicator is usually because the BIOS can't find a bootable storage device. This can happen when swapping out storage devices or corrupting the boot sector.

Can you manually select a boot device and then have the system start?
How would I do that? Boot straight from the SSD through BIOS?

FaboPico

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Depending on how you installed your OS the boot files may actually be located on the second drive the hdd.
Yes selecting the ssd and the hdd separately from bios might clear up which one is bootable and which not.
The HDD didn't come with the PC and the PC was usable before I put it in so probably not the case.