Black screen, can still hear sounds, have to manually shut down computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Okay, so I solved my problem for one day and now it is back.

So the long version is: Every thing was fine, I was working on mods for Fallout 4, working for multiple hours a day, gaming just fine. The next day my boyfriend wakes up before me, get's on plays for a couple hours (getting answers from him is the hardest thing in the world btw) but he claims everything was fine then he decided to make a new character, with the new mods. The screens went black, he said he couldn't hear sounds. He manually shut it down (holding power button) and then restarted the comp and shut it down correctly. 10 hours later I get up and on.
For me I couldn't get in Fallout 4 (actually running around), the main menu would load, the loading screens would load, but the moment I got to a screen I could move, I heard an alert noise in the background of the game at the same moment both my screens went black. I have to manually shut down my computer. Freaked out, messaged all my friends. We deduced that it would have to be one of four things: CPU/Graphics card dying, overheating or my motherboard is going out.
The easiest thing to tackle was overheating, just looking inside my comp, it did need a light air dusting, and some friendly neighborhood spider removal, but the radiator on my liquid cooling was just utterly covered, thick nasty sticky dust, it.was.bad. Just saying, my computer is about a year and a half old, I have cleaning it once before, it was needed. I COMPLETELY forgot to clean the underside of my radiator. I cleaned the fans on the outside, just not under them, between the fans and the radiator. Got everything nice and cleaned up, put the fans back on, put the radiator back, turned on my comp, and Fallout 4 ran just fine. I was ecstatic, thanked my friends.
I only got about 2 hours of good playtime before it happened again. Also it's not just F4 that does this, Dota 2 has done this to me as well. The most messed up thing is I can run stress test benchmark things for games and not have it happen. -.- Like FINAL FANTASY XIV: HEAVENSWARD BENCHMARK and Heaven | UNIGINE: real-time 3D engine. :/

When going to the event Manager
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
WMI is what it says on the side

-CPU-
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
-CPU Cooler-
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
-Motherboard-
Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
-Memory-
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
-Storage-
Corsair Force Series GS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
-Video Card-
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
-Case-
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case
-Power Supply-
Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
-Optical Drive-
Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
-Operating System-
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
-Monitor-
ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
My second Monitor is an ASUS as well, but I don't remember the info. It's the newer version of my other monitor. Same Size.​

TL: DR
When I play games my screens go black, at the same time I hear an alert/error sound in the background. Have to manually shut down computer. Cleaning my radiator helped, but it still happens. Playase halp (Fifth Element reference)

Hum.
The only thing I could say is this to you.
That all Video drivers you install be it for a graphics card with a ATI based GPU or a Nvidia based GPU are programmed with a set maximum tempreture setting.

If at any point for example that the driver detects that the GPU of the card has reached a very high tempreture.
Two things happen, first of all in order to help cool the Gpu the Gpu its self down clocks in speed.
But second level of protection as a last resort is that the video driver is terminated and completely stopped or reset.
To prevent the Gpu chip from entering meltdown due to excessive heat build up.

That is why in windows the game you are playing stops and you can be left with a black screen.
Or you can receive a message from windows that the video driver terminated.

I take it when you went on your cleaning and dusting of the system you also checked for any dust trapped or built up in the cooling fins of the cooling solution of the GTX 770 card you have.

If the answer is yes, and the Gpu temps seem fine when playing a game and not in the 90 to 100c range.

Then I would suggest that what you do if you have not already done so is use this bit of software on the link provided bellow.
It will remove all and any Nvidia video drivers ever installed on your system, but it will also clean the windows registry of any reference to the video drivers being installed in case it is a problem with your windows registry causing the system to crash or lock up when playing games.

Download the software from the link, and install it, then run the program, select remove all Nvidia drivers.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Once done let the system restart, then go to the www.geforce.com website to download the latest nvidia driver for your model of video card.
And install it.

Restart you system and see if it cures the problem of the system black screening when playing the said games you are playing Raavyn.

I suspect it is more of a driver issue or a windows registry error causing the problem.

As if it was related to anything such as the Gpu to be honest.
The card would croak when running a Gpu benchmark like 3D mark or heaven bench marking for graphics cards.

The only other thing I could suggest is if the Cpu is overclocked since it is a K series is to down clock it by 100Mhz.

And the current memory of the system from 2400Mhz to something like 2200Mhz to make sure it is not one or the other causing the odd locking up of games on your system.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I am not the most computer savvy person I know, so this is probably a very newbie question. But wouldn't uninstalling all my drivers through that program, make it so I couldn't get on the site to download the new ones? I just would like confirmation that this is safe. I'm sorry. I just like to be safe. (I am wary of shifty looking websites even)

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Welp, three days go by, and people are asking which Graphics cards fit their MOBO's, which newegg can answer, but you guys just skip right over this thread. I also noticed, this has never been solved before on this site.

Apr 15, 2022
Okay, so I solved my problem for one day and now it is back.

So the long version is: Every thing was fine, I was working on mods for Fallout 4, working for multiple hours a day, gaming just fine. The next day my boyfriend wakes up before me, get's on plays for a couple hours (getting answers from him is the hardest thing in the world btw) but he claims everything was fine then he decided to make a new character, with the new mods. The screens went black, he said he couldn't hear sounds. He manually shut it down (holding power button) and then restarted the comp and shut it down correctly. 10 hours later I get up and on.
For me I couldn't get in Fallout 4 (actually running around), the main menu would load, the loading screens would load, but the moment I got to a screen I could move, I heard an alert noise in the background of the game at the same moment both my screens went black. I have to manually shut down my computer. Freaked out, messaged all my friends. We deduced that it would have to be one of four things: CPU/Graphics card dying, overheating or my motherboard is going out.
The easiest thing to tackle was overheating, just looking inside my comp, it did need a light air dusting, and some friendly neighborhood spider removal, but the radiator on my liquid cooling was just utterly covered, thick nasty sticky dust, it.was.bad. Just saying, my computer is about a year and a half old, I have cleaning it once before, it was needed. I COMPLETELY forgot to clean the underside of my radiator. I cleaned the fans on the outside, just not under them, between the fans and the radiator. Got everything nice and cleaned up, put the fans back on, put the radiator back, turned on my comp, and Fallout 4 ran just fine. I was ecstatic, thanked my friends.
I only got about 2 hours of good playtime before it happened again. Also it's not just F4 that does this, Dota 2 has done this to me as well. The most messed up thing is I can run stress test benchmark things for games and not have it happen. -.- Like FINAL FANTASY XIV: HEAVENSWARD BENCHMARK and Heaven | UNIGINE: real-time 3D engine. :/

When going to the event Manager
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
WMI is what it says on the side

-CPU-
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
-CPU Cooler-
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
-Motherboard-
Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
-Memory-
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
-Storage-
Corsair Force Series GS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
-Video Card-
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
-Case-
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case
-Power Supply-
Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
-Optical Drive-
Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
-Operating System-
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
-Monitor-
ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
My second Monitor is an ASUS as well, but I don't remember the info. It's the newer version of my other monitor. Same Size.​

TL: DR
When I play games my screens go black, at the same time I hear an alert/error sound in the background. Have to manually shut down computer. Cleaning my radiator helped, but it still happens. Playase halp (Fifth Element reference)
this is also happening with me

plz help me

i have asus gtx 1060 6gb
corsair 850 W
i5 4th gen

Status
Not open for further replies.