Question Black Screen Crash No Display PC stays on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
It seems lots of people have had this issue come up lately.

My PC will crash to a black screen whilst gaming and it will force me to hard reset via power button. The computer will stay on.

AMD had released the new Radeon Adrenaline 2020 drivers and that seems to be what causes it, particularly with the RX 5000s series cards. The thing is, I still get it even though I don't have a RX 5000s series card. It started happening about a couple weeks ago and I have tried a lot of things particular to it and can't seem to find the issue. It's forcing people to trade in their cards for the NVIDIA RTX lineup because of the crashing and stability issues seen across the drivers. Some people can't upgrade their cards like me, and I am stuck not being able to play games for hours because of the crash.

I have tried numerous amounts of methods, all ending up in failure.

Use DDU to uninstall graphics driver and reinstall

Select "Standard" in driver software, turning off all Radeon graphics features

Manually switching off all Radeon features such as, "Enhanced Sync" and "Image Sharpening"

Going to device manager and manually installing just the display driver and not the software.

Installing the latest CPU Ryzen chipset drivers

Updating the BIOS , updating the drivers

Rolling back the drivers all the way from 17.0.0 to 20.4.1 (Newest)

Reseating all components of computer, CPU, Graphics card, RAM

Booting stock settings from the BIOS

Undervolting and underclocking GPU with adjusted fan curve

Replacing all power cords in PC, such as PCI-E power and motherboard 24-pin power

Booting with only one RAM stick in PC (Both slots)

Booting in windows safe mode

Reinstall of Windows completely

Reinstalling Steam, Uplay, any launchers

Stability test CPU with Cinebench R15, Prime95 and FurMark
. Stable

and much much more I forgot I did

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 Overclocked to 4.0Ghz (1.35v)
XFX RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition (1386mhz Core, 2000mhz Mem)'
ASrock B450 HDV R4.0 (BIOS ver. 3.70)
8x2 OLOy Warhawk RGB RAM 3200mhz (XMPd to 3200) (1.35v) (Hynix die)
Patriot Viper NVME M.2 256GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Rosewill HIVE 1000W PSU Fully-Modular
Windows 10 Home (Version 1903)
Currently running AMD Adrenaline Driver 20.4.1 Optional Version

Deepcool Matrexx 55

3 Phanteks 140mm fans pulling air from outside of case, one at top pulling air in
2 120mm fans pushing air out, one on back and one on top.

I like to play Rainbow Six Seige a lot. For some reason, I only black screen crash when I go to the MVP screen. Stability is completely fine.
Temperature is okay, as I max out 76C load when playing it.

Mar 29, 2021
I wanted to post on here, a forum I utilized, when encountering black screen/crashing issues I was having.

the black screen issue seems to be resolved after some minor changes which I will explain.

I have a rather odd set of circumstances that I will explain. I want to keep this clean, clear, and easy to navigate.

First, here are my specs:
1. I recently upgraded my PC components:
a. New SSD - Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB.
b. New CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core.
c. New Mobo - MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 (300 Series).
d. New CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler

2. Older components still utilized in my build are:
a. GPU Nvidia geforce 970 - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+.
b. 750 W PSU - Hand me down from ~2016. Don't know exact spec.
c. 16 gb Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB).

History:
Long story short, I vacuumed the exterior of my metal mesh computer case while the computer was on. Yes... I vacuumed my computer.... My computer instantly black screened. This is an extremely bad idea. Do not recommend. The computer turned back on but would crash randomly, whether I am checking emails for work or playing a highly, CPU and GPU intensive, video game. I feared I may have fried my newly added components to the computer and ruined something or everything. Nothing was overheating during use, it strictly appeared to be occurring randomly. I ran many stress test and would monitor task management during video games (on my 2nd monitor). When a crash occurred, both monitors would go back, and audio would appear to glitch out, I could actually still hear my friends talking on discord. I would need to do a hard restart.

My resolution:
I powered off the machine the other day after 3 crashes within a short time span. I began to comb the internet for solutions and my attention was zeroing in on anything from, I destroyed my components, to PSU issues, to GPU issues. It was suggested on one site to do the basic check that all plugs were accounted for and fully plugged in. I just installed that new MOBO ~2-3 months ago, so this sounded within reason. I did notice that my GPU plug from the MOBO was ever-so-slightly not fully connected. I corrected this. I also read to remove and replace RAM sticks. I did this. Double checked all my connections and powered back on. it's been about 48 hours with no crashes. I've been playing games like Planetside 2, Rocket League, and Lord of the Rings Online and utilizing my computer for work per usual. These were all activities that would conjure a black screen crash and a hard restart. So far, no issues about 48 hours later.

I hope this helps some because it is a very frustrating situation I was researching for about a month or more. I had just thrown down a good chunk of change on new components and thought I would need to invest some more money in the immediate future. After my "researching" I was leaning towards a PSU replacement, possibly GPU (which are a pain to get at the moment). Hopefully I have thwarted those efforts for now and only needed to do activities I listed above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Status
Not open for further replies.