[SOLVED] Black screen crash with no BSoD or dump file created ?

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz (Cooled with Corsair H110i)
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus MPG
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 GP104 Pascal @2GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB (Windows Drive)
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Solid State Drive#3: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: SeaSonic Focus Gold 650W
Windows 10 Version 2009

To clarify when it happened. It happened when i was pretty much idle watching a youtube video quite literally just after a League Of Legends game sitting in the post game lobby.

I've pretty much tried everything. Nothing was found on the various scans that most people will do. Memtest found nothing, sfc found nothing, DISM commands also found nothing. I checked the event log nothing remotely helpful was shown except for the Critical Error it produced from just shutting down. I checked the logs that happened before the critical error and nothing seemed out of the ordinary except the one saying it failed to create a dump file. The only recent change on the system was a few overdue windows updates, but it was working fine after those updates for a while up until now i guess. So im not sure if that could be the case. Lastly i do monitor the CPU temps pretty much 24/7 on a second screen and they didnt even break the 30c mark.

I have no idea if it could be the PSU or not. If it helps the computer is connected to an APC UPS backup unit. Not sure if that would cause anything bad to happen to the PSU.

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears because rn im at loss. This has never happened in over 2 years.

Solution
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? Cross-reference with MSI's support page. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, please don't jump to the latest. Gradually work your way up to the latest version, taking not to update/install your chipset/MEI drivers along the way.

Considering that it might be a driver issue, you should reinstall all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

When it comes to GPU drivers, use DDU (after you've sourced the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site)first then reinstall GPU drivers in elevated command.

How old is the PSU in your system? has the innards of the PSU been blown out of dust bunnies/debris?

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? Cross-reference with MSI's support page. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, please don't jump to the latest. Gradually work your way up to the latest version, taking not to update/install your chipset/MEI drivers along the way.

Considering that it might be a driver issue, you should reinstall all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

When it comes to GPU drivers, use DDU (after you've sourced the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site)first then reinstall GPU drivers in elevated command.

How old is the PSU in your system? has the innards of the PSU been blown out of dust bunnies/debris?

Solution

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013

PSU is only 3 years old. I do know for a fact my bios isn't the newest version maybe updating will help. Graphics driver I never really update because it's an older gpu I usually only update when I need optimization for a new game. Lastly the PSU does have a dust filter under the fan so I will check that out and clean if needed.