Black screen during high-demand gaming - motherboard or power supply issue?

schottebwm

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
My problem is that my computer goes dead during high-demand gaming. Specifically, I hear the fans stop and my screen goes black and then gives me a "no signal" message. I then have to reboot.

Here is my current system:

MSI Gaming 970 Gaming AM3+/AM3 motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Processor
XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
24 gb DDR3 RAM
Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
800W 12V ATX Power Supply
LG 24MP59G 23.8" Full HD Black IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Windows 10

I should mention I am a very amateur pc builder, having only done a few upgrades in my life.

I recently upgraded from an older Samsung monitor, a Geforce GTU ASUS 1gb graphics card, and an AMD Athlon II 4-core processor.

The problem of the computer blacking out has been occurring since I bought the MSI MoBo, power supply, and a SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 8 gb video card in the fall of 2016. I was under the assumption the the SAPPHIRE card was failing due to bad cooling, and many reviews that came out after my purchase of this said as much. I stuck my 1gb Geforce back in and the problem went away (although performance suffered, obviously).

After I sent the SAPPHIRE back in and got a replacement and installed it, the problem kept occurring. I gave the card to a friend of mine who was able to get it to work for him. Not wanting to struggle again, I decided I'd buy a newer card and monitor. I got the new LG monitor and Radeon RX 580 a few days ago, maxed out Star Citizen beautifully for a total of 2 minutes, and again, the monitor turned off and the pc was unresponsive.

I've been monitoring temps with HW monitor on all the different graphics cards I've described, and it never gets above the mid 70Cs, so i dont think it is a heat issue.

Since this problem persists between graphics cards and processors, my only guesses now are that the problem lies with the MoBo or power supply. Can anyone support this? Which might it be?

I have read from some people that the MSI 970 and AMD FX-8350 dont get along very well. But since this problem happened before my processor upgrade, I dont think that is the core issue (although it could very well be adding to it!).

If it is indeed the MoBo, I'd have to return my recently purchased processor because it is AM3 and I'd need an AM4 board.

I also know absolutely zip about overclocking and other power/performance management. So I am unsure if the problem is there.

I'd like an answer fairly soon (if there is one!) so I can return my new processor and upgrade the board inside the return window.

Thanks in advance for any answers! Happy holidays.

SchotteBWM

Solution
So it ended up being a faulty power supply. I upgraded everything but my PSU and case, and I eventually experienced a another complete shutdown during gaming, and this time the pc would not turn on. Coupled with a hot-to-touch PSU vent, it was pretty obvious my PSU had crapped out. I bought a new one and after a few hours of high-demand gaming, no problems yet!

schottebwm

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Hi Kareem, thanks for the quick response.

I just had the blackout occur again. It happened at about 10:59 (and maybe 40 seconds).

Here is the last message before the black out from the System log:
Warning 12/1/2017 10:41:44 PM storahci Event ID 129
The next message was when I rebooted:
Information 12/1/2017 11:00:39 PM Kernal-General Event ID 12

From the Application logs, the last item before the black out is this:
Information 12/1/2017 10:57:06 PM Source: Security=SPP Event ID 903

After that there is a User Profile Service when I rebooted, at 11:02.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more info from the log. Thanks!

As an afterthought, I put my specs into a power supply checker after my initial post, and it said I need a 450W supply. Just FYI.

schottebwm

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Hi again, thanks for the suggestions. All my drivers for my SSD and HDD are up to date.

Any other thoughts from any body?

schottebwm

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
So it ended up being a faulty power supply. I upgraded everything but my PSU and case, and I eventually experienced a another complete shutdown during gaming, and this time the pc would not turn on. Coupled with a hot-to-touch PSU vent, it was pretty obvious my PSU had crapped out. I bought a new one and after a few hours of high-demand gaming, no problems yet!

Solution