Question Black screen during POST, Windows 10 boots fine

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I've yet another problem that shouldn't be new to anyone but me.

I just wiped out an old Windows 7 Home installation and replaced with a new Windows 10 Pro purchased from MS.

I also changed my graphics card from a GTX 780 OC to a GTX 1660 Super. This meant switching from DVI to HDMI.

I'm not certain when it happened, but at some point I lost the ability to see POST fly by, and I could not see the BIOS screen, although I could hear the clicking that indicates the ESCape or DEL keys were working to halt POST. I could enter BIOS, but could not see it. A number of people have reported the same issue after upgrading to Windows 10 or 11. To be clear, the screen comes back on once Windows 10 starts!

Lots of advice out there. Most frequently, the recommendation is to remove the CMOS battery for a while. I did that, to no avail.

Fortunately, I have my old card. I put that back in, reconnected DVI, and was able to see POST and access BIOS—but I still want to upgrade to the new card!

Online, there is mention of a firmware update to the graphics card, but the connection at issue is always DisplayPort. Some people report this firmware update—whatever it is—allows the graphics card to again display POST and BIOS.

Could this black screen issue affect HDMI connections, as well? If anyone is familiar, might you point me to this firmware update? Finally, is this in any way related to new "security" features in Windows 10 and 11?

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Did you recreate the installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
You bet!

• Intel Core i7-950
• EVGA GTX 780 3GB (upgrading to an MSI VENTUS XS GTX 1660 Super 6GB)
• CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB CAS 9 (triple channel DDR3) (BIOS v83 08-31-2011)
• EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 SLI3
• Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium (replaced with Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit with flash media created by MediaCreationTool22H2)

Motherboard network chip died. Replaced with a NIC card.
Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter

Power Supply:
Antec TPQ-1000 TRUEPOWER QUATTRO 1000 watt (that's 2011)

Hard Drive C:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200

Monitor
ASUS PB278Q 27"

SAMSUNG S23A300B High Glossy Black 23" 5ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

Everything I've seen online points toward a needed firmware update to the new video card. I'm wondering if others have found this to be a resolution. Furthermore, does this apparently common occurrence have anything to do with Windows 10 or 11 security features?