Question Black screen on Asus k53s, how to fix it it?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
So my friend got a laptop that has a black screen and he told me that one day when he turned on the laptop the screen went black, so he ask me to fix it and i tried everything but it seems it didnt work so im here asking you guys what should i do to be able to fix it.
So i had tried everything like plugging it to a monitor, swap out with a different ram and hard drive and none of them work. The wierdest thing is when the laptop was on i couldnt turn it off by holding the power button, the power button lights didnt turn off, i used to be able to turned off the laptop by holding the power button but now not and also i cant hear any fan spinning and cd disk spining as well and when i plug in mouse and keyboard, no lights apear. I think the problem would be the cpu or cmos battery die, thats what im guessing. Anyway what could i do to fix it?
The laptop spec:
i5 2430m( has IGPU)
nvidia 610m 2gb
4gb ram
500gb hdd
No battery because my friend use charger
243737379_722296949171443_7494859074542582642_n.jpg

243743813_264257015576861_7336643883398659754_n.jpg

Last edited:

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
if the battery dies that doesn't cause black screen.
If you plugged it to external monitor, might be an option with the Fn key on the keyboard, to switch between monitors (or extend it)
No fan sound might mean, there is a problem with the cpu or motherboard, as you mentioned.

Lutfij

Titan
I think that the GPU on the motherboard or the motherboard itself is the faulty part. You sure you replaced the rams with known working sticks and sticks that are compatible with your laptop? You should work with a 2GB DDR3-1333MHz to see if you can get the laptop to come back to life. The other thing that I'm leaning on is that the power input and circuitry might be compromised considering that the laptop doesn't have it's battery and was used with the power brick.

In an case, with the laptop disconnected from the wall, with rams removed and the CMOS battery removed as well, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then replace the CMOS with a fresh cell, then one stick of ram and then try and power the laptop with the adapter.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
if the battery dies that doesn't cause black screen.
If you plugged it to external monitor, might be an option with the Fn key on the keyboard, to switch between monitors (or extend it)
No fan sound might mean, there is a problem with the cpu or motherboard, as you mentioned.
I tried to click fn key to extend monitor it didnt work.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
I think that the GPU on the motherboard or the motherboard itself is the faulty part. You sure you replaced the rams with known working sticks and sticks that are compatible with your laptop? You should work with a 2GB DDR3-1333MHz to see if you can get the laptop to come back to life. The other thing that I'm leaning on is that the power input and circuitry might be compromised considering that the laptop doesn't have it's battery and was used with the power brick.

In an case, with the laptop disconnected from the wall, with rams removed and the CMOS battery removed as well, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then replace the CMOS with a fresh cell, then one stick of ram and then try and power the laptop with the adapter.
im sure i had replaces with working sticks of ram
And ill try the cmos battery later
But i had a question if the discreate gpu fail wouldnt it switch to igpu?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021

how do you remove this cmos battery?
243131413_960146034572907_8851684989385284775_n.jpg

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021

update thanks it work :)