[SOLVED] Black screen only when trying to put graphic card [can't find any solution!!!]

Apr 3, 2021
Hello everyone,
ok so where to start? i have this older PC and tried to do it a little bit better by installing a graphic card, and when i put in graphic card in and try to turn on PC i have no signal on monitor (no bleeps no nothing, just black screen, means i can't do anything, go into bios and so on, although fans in PC are working - fan of graphic card also spins). When i take out this graphic card - it works normally again with integrated card (but integrated card doesn't work when new graphic card is installed - only black screen there in integrated and in installed graphic card)
i have read all similar threads on this forum before and i probably tried anything, but still no solution! i'm lost now what could be wrong!
i tried updating bios - updated, but this didn't worked
tried the solution someone posted with 17 steps
- (1. Turn off the computer and unplug. 2 Remove Graphic card. 3Plug the monitor to your video output. 4 Turn on the computer. 5 Click on start and type msconfig. 6 Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected. 7 Apply then click ok. 8 DO NOT RESTART. 9 Shut Down computer and unplug. 10 Install Graphic card. 11 Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode). 12 Go into Device Manager. 13 Expand Display Adapter. 14 Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL). 15 Click the start button and type msconfig. 16 Unclick Safe boot. 17 Restart) - did that, but just get the black monitor on step 11, after putting back new graphic card
tried going to bios settings and set primary display device to PEG OR PCI E - didn't worked.

i just get the black screen when putting the graphic card and that's it. even when the graphic card is inside PC i can't connect through integrated graphic card - i just see black screen without anything, no bios no nothing.
so maybe someone could explain what else could it be?

processor: intel core 2 duo e7500 @ 2.93GHz
model: lenovo M58e Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 7304
ram: 4gb
psu: Logic Concept 500W
graphic card: nvidia geforce gtx 650

Solution
One thing I did not see.
Did you connect monitor to graphics card output?
Most motherboards turn off integrated graphics when a dedicated GPU is installed. So the motherboards monitor connectors also get turned off.
Make sure monitor is connected to GPU, not motherboard.
Only other thing I can think of is that PSU --- I've never heard of it so it's probably a low-quality one. You may need to get something better quality like EVGA or Corsair.
Please wait for more replies as they may disagree with me and come up with some other fix that I've missed.

Apr 3, 2021
Only other thing I can think of is that PSU --- I've never heard of it so it's probably a low-quality one. You may need to get something better quality like EVGA or Corsair.
Please wait for more replies as they may disagree with me and come up with some other fix that I've missed.
thanks for reply Phillip Corcoran !! i have thought about PSU too also at some point.. yes, it's the cheap one . can it be that this PSU just don't have enough power for this graphic card? but then - why is that? does low-quality PSUs produce less power either if it's stated 500w like in this case ?

One thing I did not see.
Did you connect monitor to graphics card output?
Most motherboards turn off integrated graphics when a dedicated GPU is installed. So the motherboards monitor connectors also get turned off.
Make sure monitor is connected to GPU, not motherboard.
yes, i did connect monitor to graphic card output. also tried connecting to integrated graphics, but when the graphic card is in PC - i just get black screen no matter where monitor is connected (to graphic card or integrated).

can it be that this PSU just don't have enough power for this graphic card? but then - why is that? does low-quality PSUs produce less power either if it's stated 500w like in this case ?
Cheap PSUs straight up LIE about their wattage and efficiency (with very very very few exceptions).
They will mention as wattage what they will output at ideal conditions for them (not ideal for your use) and as a combination of all their rails , 3.3V , 5V and 12 V while the ONLY one that matters in any modern PC is the 12 V. Their component's quality are almost always subpar and they usually lack protections.

Never cheap out on a PSU. It's what powers your system and protects your hard earned money that went into the hardware for it.

Apr 3, 2021
thanks for explaining/video dotas1 and Unolocogringo !!!
damn, i thought maybe i should look for some other graphic card that requires less , but now i doubt that it's a good idea to run any graphic card at all and better leave this PSU for how it is now in PC - for what's integrated

DSzymborski

Titan
Good move. This PSU only actually has 340W available on the +12V rail, which is what the GPU cares about, and I'd have huge doubts about the quality of that power. It also has passive PFC, which even new garbage PSUs won't generally have today. I'm assuming you're in Eastern Europe because that's where that PSU pops up, so as a comparison, it's the PSU equivalent of one of those old East German Trabants.

I definitely not use any GPU that requires supplementary power with this PSU.

Apr 3, 2021
Good move. This PSU only actually has 340W available on the +12V rail, which is what the GPU cares about, and I'd have huge doubts about the quality of that power. It also has passive PFC, which even new garbage PSUs won't generally have today. I'm assuming you're in Eastern Europe because that's where that PSU pops up, so as a comparison, it's the PSU equivalent of one of those old East German Trabants.

I definitely not use any GPU that requires supplementary power with this PSU.
thanks DSzymborski and everybody else, who helped !!!
now i'm 99% sure the reason is the cheap PSU... will need to look for a better PSU in that case if i want to "update" this oldie PC with this card. or just look for GPU that doesn't requires supplementary power with PSU?? not sure of how much "improvement" it would be with such GPUs

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, it's not the amount of wattage that worries me, it's the quality. There's a level of low-quality PSU I'd be fine with on light loads (old Corsair CX, EVGA N1/W1, various Cooler Masters), but this is below the quality level at which I'd want to do anything that requires supplementary power.