[SOLVED] Black screen post Win install - suspect graphics issue - Help

Jul 27, 2020
Hi All
First up, thanks for any advice you can give.

I have an 8 year old pc (I know!). I have used it since 2012 with no issues for gaming.

Yesterday, while watching youtube, it went into a perfect whitescreen and I had to restart. When I restarted, Win wouldn't load and so I re-installed windows via usb. On getting to the desktop, everything seems fine until I connect to the internet (when I suspect win tries to update itself). When I do connect to the net, after a few mins, the screen goes black and when I restart, the OS won't start again. I can then either reinstall windows or go to a system restore point.

I suspected it was the graphics driver, so I downloaded the latest on my phone and tried to manually install (without connecting to the net), but... in the middle of the install, black screen again. However I was using the same driver for the past few months with no issues and so can't understand what is going on now. If I don't connect to the internet post fresh install, pc runs fine (on Microsoft basic display driver).

I cleaned out the card, reseated it in another slot and did the whole reinstall thing multiple times...no good. Same black screen. Now I think, I may be wrong, and it may not be a graphics issue. Can't for the life of me, figure out what is going on. Any help would be much appreciated. Specs below....

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i3-3220
Radeon HD 7850
16 GB Kingston HyperX,
Samsung SSD and Seagate HDD
Win 10 pro

Thanks

[redacted]
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello

This can be closed now. It was my graphics card that is faulty as I can do everything on the integrated graphics, but not on the graphics card. Thank you for your help.

S
Jul 27, 2020
Hello

This can be closed now. It was my graphics card that is faulty as I can do everything on the integrated graphics, but not on the graphics card. Thank you for your help.

S

Solution