Black screen - Still sound - DVI stopped working VGA works.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hi, I don't know where to start really, bit of a weird problem but I'm desperate to get it fixed.

i5
8GB ram
Windows 7
GPU - 7750 used through the DVI setting (NO VGA option)
Monitor AoC 2236

Problem: Been playing borderlands 2, suddenly the screen goes black but there is still sound playing. I have to do a hard shutdown (just holding power button until it goes off). I go to the shop to let it cool down come back, turn on the computer and it boots up. 10-15 minutes I get a black screen. Now, this happened one time a month or so ago but on restart it was fine and I forgot about it.

I open the case, check everything is seated correctly. I clean the CPU fan and also the GPU however that was spotless (it's about 11 months old). PSU is dusty but I don't want to open that up.

Try again. Gets to the boot up screen and goes black.

I try an old GPU, it works.

I refit the new GPU, black screen again. I plug in the HDMI to the TV and it works (Monitor does NOT have HDMI)

I refit the OLD GPU and try the DVI slot, it does not work. The VGA DOES work.

My issue is that my system is giving a black screen, first I thought it was the GPU but since it works on HDMI, and suddenly JUST stopped working on DVI, and my old card also didn't work on DVI, it can't be the card. The issue is that the newer GPU I got doesnt have a VGA slot, my monitor doesnt have an HDMI slot so I'm stuck with either my old card, or TV. Plainly put I want the DVI to work on my 7750.

First, I HAVENT downloaded ANY windows updates for a while, so we can exclude this.

After reading some "DVI stopped working, VGA still works" threads from a search, I've tried pulling out the battery on the mobo.

I've tested a secondary cable and DVI adapter. Still same issue.

I've tested my monitor on my old computer with a DVI slot, and it worked.

I've tested intergrated graphics via the VGA slot (for some reason the DVI slot wasn't the same as the DVI on all 3 GPUs so didn't have adapter for that)

I've done no updates prior to this, today however, I completely uninstalled GPu drivers and reinstalled to latest.

I've scanned for viruses / malware.

Nothing has changed on my system for a while, so won't be any new things.

I'm at a complete loss at what it can be. I was going to buy a new PSU and GPU (PSU is only 450w and I wanted to upgrade but can not afford everything) but it was lucky that I tested my old GPU (6670) with the DVI slot first as now I can see it's not the GPU at all.

I don't know if using the DVI draws more power than the VGA and that it's my PSU but the 7750 is a very efficient card that uses MUCH less power than my 6670 (which reminder, works with the VGA just not DVI). My PSU is dusty but after phoning a tech shop they said it "won't" be the PSU. My brother says it will likely be the PSU, I am in two minds.

I don't want to buy a PSU and GPU only to find it's the Mobo.

Please help, I'm at a complete loss. Thanks

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Well no not really, about 30 minutes but to do so would be hard since the TV and computer are at opposite sides of the room with all the wires locked down.

Shouldn't make any difference though since as I said, I changed GPU and it's doing the exact same thing, the only difference being that the old GPU has a VGA input which works, while the DVI doesn't. The newer card (which has been working for a year) only has DVI so I'm left with no choice but to use the awful card on VGA.

If it were just as simple as buy a new GPU I would do that, but it's unlikely to be the GPU.

hiciper

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I have a similar or the same problem.

Processor I5 3550. GTX 750 the video card.

VGA works, DVI goes black for 2-3 seconds like every minutes. Then stops doing it for miutes and minutes and another blackscreen wave comes. PC works perfect on the background, meanwhile.

I doubt about the DVI cable, but cables do not go and come back in 2 seconds, do they? I dont wanna spend any money on another DVI cable. I suspect DVI section of the GTX750 as well... I guess i have to try another DVI cable to surely progress on to solve this problem.