Black Screen with cursor after system restore windows 7

ali1346

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I wanted to install a new version of a software I just manually deleted without proper uninstallation (because it wouldnt unisntall), it said to remove the previous version first. As I had manually deleted its files, I had to restore my system to the point where I installed that older version of the software which was just a few hours ago. After restarting when the system restore completed, the screen went black and the cursor was only there. I searched alot on the internet, tried safe mode but still the black screen. Some people said to delete explorer.exe from the task manager but ctrl+alt+del didnt work for me on the black screen. Although when I pressed shift 5 times, the sticky key pop up appeared, with only yes and no options. I tried startup repair using my win 7 cd but the error reamains. Thankyou for your help in advance. :) My laptop is HP Envy 6-1011tx and win 7 x64

jonespwns

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Okay. So it sounds like your Windows is on the fritz. I don't really know if trying a second restore would fix that either. That really sucks. I can't really think of anything to fix this other than formatting or resetting to factory settings. Unless you have a back up of your registry that you can refer back to.