Question Is there anyway to get Windows 11 to boot everything using the laptop's iGPU ?

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I bought a gaming laptop and for some reason it will not allow you to choose "boot everything to the igpu" theres a menu to choose per program but thats a long list and the only way to go about it is to disable the gpu in device manager. boot all my programs and then start the gpu back up. Which is so janky.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
What laptop is it and what gpu does it have?

I don't think this is possible but anyhow why do you want to do this? Usually people want the gpu be the dominant graphics processor. Applications aren't demanding like games so gpu will only use a portion of its power under dynamic power modes.

zephyrus g16 2023. i only play rs3 and it runs fine on the integrated graphics and if anything needs buffed or prerendered the gpu does that pre-ly. or at least thats how i thought it was going to run. but it assumes the integrated graphics are just so cheap that they only work for browser videos and by default it takes everything thats got any 3d rendering at all even if you try and swap it not to in nvidia. and gives it to the gpu unless you disable the gpu before you boot the application.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your laptop has advanced Optimus so it's pretty much automatic, switching between igpu and gpu based on needs, as previous versions did, just doing it better.

Only thing you'd ever change is dedicating gpu to specific game if Optimus wasn't working correctly.

Reactions: PEnns

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Your laptop has advanced Optimus so it's pretty much automatic, switching between igpu and gpu based on needs, as previous versions did, just doing it better.

Only thing you'd ever change is dedicating gpu to specific game if Optimus wasn't working correctly.
thats the problem im having. theres no actual switch so theres no way to make the iGPU the default. Are there any programs out there for mux switches now that they arent a physical bios option switch you have to go toggle? its ingrained in the programmingg and you have to go into windows launch options for everything. everytime.

you have to go into windows launch options for everything. everytime.
But you only play one game?! If you change the graphics settings for that one game, then what else is the problem?
You already said that it is using the igpu for web and video anyway.
Figure2-3-1276x1024.png

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
But you only play one game?! If you change the graphics settings for that one game, then what else is the problem?
You already said that it is using the igpu for web and video anyway.
Figure2-3-1276x1024.png
Right. I just think its janky windows wont let you go. USE THE MOBO to plug the monitor in. lol.