[SOLVED] Black screen with cursor and taskbar for a few minutes after login

Jun 1, 2020
When logging in after a restart or shutdown, I am met with a black screen and a cursor. After 2-3 minutes, my normal desktop background with all my apps reappear. During the dark screen part I am able to open apps with the taskbar but I can't actually access them. I can open task manager but I'm not able to interact with it until my screen returns to normal. This has been happening for a few weeks but hasn't been a huge problem since I don't restart or shut down my computer that often. I've also recently installed an RX 5700 and I think the black screens started happening a little after that. I tried updating drivers but that hasn't worked. It would be cool if I could find a way to fix this.

Solution
Fast boot in bios just skips a few steps, its strange if its causing the error you were getting, but I guess, if it works, why complain :)

i would look in your bios manual and see what it does but Asus are slack, they don't give you as much info in a B board manual as you get in a Z. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf You get 4 pages, Z manual is likely about 60

Basically Fast Boot under a UEFI setup initializes all hardware at the same time(providing you have compatible VGA and Mobo) to boot you into Windows faster. As opposed to the older BIOSes which initializes your hardware one piece at a time and takes longer by doing so.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try unplugging all USB and any extra equipment before startup (mouse/keyboard are likely needed) and see if it makes any difference. Including speakers. I had something similar in the past and cause turned out to be my speakers. MIne started just after I replaced a GPU as well and I spent a few weeks thinking it was GPU.
AS the slow speed of appearance of desktop mean PC waits for something to respond and only shows up once its timed out.

Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update &^ security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts win 10 in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

this will at least tell us if its hardware or drivers. If it loads normal it could be drivres.

Jun 1, 2020
It still happens after unplugging all my extra equipment, but doesn't happen in safe mode.

I've repeatedly updated my gpu drivers, and I'm wondering if there are any other drivers that I could update that might fix this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC? It might help to go to motherboard website and make sure you have newest drivers from there. Compare them against the program below.

You can run this and it will show you what drivers currently installed (that is all it does, its not a driver updater) - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
when you run it, go into view and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list much shorter

Jun 1, 2020
Specs:
CPU- ryzen 5 2600
GPU- RX 5700
MOBO- Asus prime b450 a/csm
Ram- ballistix sport 4 sticks of 4 gbs

windows is installed on an adata 128 GB ssd

I don't have access to my main pc until tomorrow, so I'll get back to this thread after checking my motherboard drivers.

Jun 1, 2020
As I was in the bios I realized that I had fast boot enabled. I disabled fast boot and it fixed this issue completely.

I feel really dumb because I've spent the last few weeks thinking this was a complicated problem when it was just fast boot not working right.

Thanks for the help though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast boot in bios just skips a few steps, its strange if its causing the error you were getting, but I guess, if it works, why complain :)

i would look in your bios manual and see what it does but Asus are slack, they don't give you as much info in a B board manual as you get in a Z. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf You get 4 pages, Z manual is likely about 60

Basically Fast Boot under a UEFI setup initializes all hardware at the same time(providing you have compatible VGA and Mobo) to boot you into Windows faster. As opposed to the older BIOSes which initializes your hardware one piece at a time and takes longer by doing so.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...boot-under-the-Boot-menu-what-exactly-is-that

its possibly caused by an old driver still. There is a similar function is Win 10 called Fast startup which can cause problems for old drivers. Normally at startup too.

Solution