Black screen with four options/GNU GRUB/no booting device/ubuntu

Spetto

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
I have Acer aspire e11, intel celeron processor N2840 dual core, intel hd graphics( dont really know wich one, 2GB DDR3 RAM memory and 500GB HDD.

Previously i had windows 7 64bit proffesional edition and i decided to switch to ubuntu. I have followed this guide step by step: ubuntu guide. When i was first installing at installation type i chose "erase disk and install ubuntu" and i got some warning message about partition tabels( which i dont remeber) and i answered "no". After the installation was finished i restarted the computer and got the message "no booting device" so i restarted again and chose the booting device to be my hdd and got black screen with four options going like this:

• ■ Try ubuntu without installing
    ■ Install ubuntu
    ■ OEM install (for manufacturers)
    ■ Check disc for defects

So i thought i didnt installed it correctly. I try again hitting install ubuntu, but now i get two new options in installation type: "Erase Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS and reinstall" and "Install Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS alongside Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS".

Judging by that you can see i have installed ubuntu i just cannot "access" it (if thats the right word).
I reinstalled it again but now i chose "something else" so i formated partitions manually.

My question is how can i boot ubuntu from my hdd and set it default (so i dont get this four options again).

P.S. I am completely new to this so any help would be appreciated because this is my only computer at the moment. I am writing this in trial mode.

Solution
I fixed it by following this guide. What I did was:

• ■Restart the computer
    ■Turn the secure boot on(you might need to set pass on bios for this)
    ■“Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing”, hit enter
    ■Select HDD0(in my case)
    ■Select EFI
    ■Select ubuntu
    ■Select shimx64.efi
    ■Type "Yes" in the box and hit enter
    ■Restart the computer

Hope this will help somebody with same problem like me!
boot live ubuntu.

check to make sure you have the 'boot' flag set on your /boot partition, or wherever /boot resides.

you can check the flags by post the output of the command:
Code:
sudo parted -l

run command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

reboot. check to make sure your disk is set to boot in bios.

Spetto

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

I typed this commands you said but i dont understand any of it only that something is wrong: My terminal
Any advice?

Spetto

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
I fixed it by following this guide. What I did was:

• ■Restart the computer
    ■Turn the secure boot on(you might need to set pass on bios for this)
    ■“Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing”, hit enter
    ■Select HDD0(in my case)
    ■Select EFI
    ■Select ubuntu
    ■Select shimx64.efi
    ■Type "Yes" in the box and hit enter
    ■Restart the computer

Hope this will help somebody with same problem like me!

Solution