Question Black screen with increasingly short flashes of display a few minutes after cold start?

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
My computer has started getting a black screen that flashes on for just an instant. The computer is still running perfectly fine otherwise, including audio from programs.

It only happens after several minutes, if it happens at all. I'm writing this on my PC right now. If I turn my computer off for a while, the program goes away but comes back.

I suspect it may be a dying PSU.

Windows 10, Radeon R-series CPU, Nvidia 1070.... can't remember the rest.

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Ryzen 5 3600 (one year old)
ASRock X570 Pro4 (one year old)
16 gb RAM (one year old)
Nvidia 1070 (several years old)
Antec EarthWatts 650 PSU (old AF)

There might be a voltage issue in my house....

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Ryzen 5 3600 (one year old)
ASRock X570 Pro4 (one year old)
16 gb RAM (one year old)
Nvidia 1070 (several years old)
Antec EarthWatts 650 PSU (old AF)

There might be a voltage issue in my house....
Could also be your monitor, OP. When I use my 29" TV as a monitor, it does that flicker whenever either a) someone turned on the light switch in my room, it's usually off, or b) someone turned the control knob of the ceiling fan in the other room. I know for a fact that my house electricity is a bit funky, though. No issues with the other TV in the living room or the home server monitor.

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Could also be your monitor, OP. When I use my 29" TV as a monitor, it does that flicker whenever either a) someone turned on the light switch in my room, it's usually off, or b) someone turned the control knob of the ceiling fan in the other room. I know for a fact that my house electricity is a bit funky, though. No issues with the other TV in the living room or the home server monitor.

I hadn't considered that. You might be right. If it was a PSU issue, you'd think the computer would just shut off. I think I'll buy a UPS and hook my PC and monitor to it just to be safe.

Although, that doesn't quite explain why shutting down my PC for a while temporarily fixes the issue.