Question Black screens and max fan speed

May 26, 2024
Hello everyone

I've been having an issue with my pc intermittently for the past year. Every now and then I get black screen and max fans and the only way to get display back is to restart my pc.

Build is :

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i9-13900KF - 24-Core [8P @ 3.00GHz-5.80GHz / 16E @ 2.20GHz-4.30GHz] - 32MB Cache, Ultimate OC Compatible
M2SSD: 2TB WD Black SN850X M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 7300MB/s Read & 6600MB/s Write (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Memory
MOTHERBOARD: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
VIDEO: GeForce(R) RTX 4070 Ti
POWERSUPPLY: Corsair RM850X 850W

After crashes and viewing event viewer I get the error for device raidport 1

I have 2 monitors, 1 being a new one I got with the pc a year ago and a second one which is a few years older

This crash happens at random intervals and can happen multiple times over and over and then not happen for weeks to months. Or can happen once every 2 to 4 days. There is only one situation in which I'm able to mimic this crash and that is when the pc is turned on I unplug one of the displays from the GPU and then plug it back in where it immediately black screens and max fans.

I have tried the following as per other people with similar issues:

sfc /scannow
chkdsk /scan
Changing power supply settings to GPU
Bios is up to date
All drivers are up to date

Repeating GPU seems to help it for an extended period of time but then the issue returns

Anyone got any advice

Thanks 😊

Generally this is going to be power related in some fashion. First step would be unplugging and reconnecting all power cables.

I'm assuming an adapter is being used for the 12VHPWR connector. If that's the case try to use as many separate PCIe 8-pin connections as you can (as opposed to daisy chained connections, but it will depend on what cables came with the PSU).

May 26, 2024
Generally this is going to be power related in some fashion. First step would be unplugging and reconnecting all power cables.

I'm assuming an adapter is being used for the 12VHPWR connector. If that's the case try to use as many separate PCIe 8-pin connections as you can (as opposed to daisy chained connections, but it will depend on what cables came with the PSU).
If It is a power issue and I was to use a 3x8 pin as opposed to the 2x8 pin would there be any bad side effects. I'm assuming the PSU won't force more than than the GPU pulls or am I getting my wires crossed?

I asked because I've seen some posts saying it's a better alternative and others saying there isn't a difference. I would have thought that using a 3x8 would just allow the GPU to be able to draw more power when it requires.

If It is a power issue and I was to use a 3x8 pin as opposed to the 2x8 pin would there be any bad side effects. I'm assuming the PSU won't force more than than the GPU pulls or am I getting my wires crossed?

I asked because I've seen some posts saying it's a better alternative and others saying there isn't a difference. I would have thought that using a 3x8 would just allow the GPU to be able to draw more power when it requires.
In my opinion you should just be using whatever adapter your specific card came with.

As an example my 3080 runs 400W out of the box despite the NV standard being 320W so it has 3x 8-pin connectors rather than 2. In the case of the 4070 Ti it's a 285W card and each 8-pin is rated at 150W with the PCIe slot up to 75W so unless your card is running quite a bit higher than 285W an adapter using 2x 8-pin ought to be fine. I'd just suggest using two separate cables from the PSU to connect it.

May 26, 2024
In my opinion you should just be using whatever adapter your specific card came with.

As an example my 3080 runs 400W out of the box despite the NV standard being 320W so it has 3x 8-pin connectors rather than 2. In the case of the 4070 Ti it's a 285W card and each 8-pin is rated at 150W with the PCIe slot up to 75W so unless your card is running quite a bit higher than 285W an adapter using 2x 8-pin ought to be fine. I'd just suggest using two separate cables from the PSU to connect it.
Soooo I've done the following .....

Bought new 12VHPWR 2x8 pin and swapped them out. Same issue occurred (I.e I unplugged the monitor and plugged back in and it caused black screen max fans. (This being the only way i have managed to imitate issue on demand) ). I then also bought a 3x8 pin and so far through rigorous but gentle unplugging it has no issues. I'm still skeptical as it's seemingly been mended in the past then the crash comes back unlike my father with the milk.

If this has resolved the issue my next question is ..... what's most likely culprit? Was it the cable or should I be concerned with the sockets in PSU .... maybe even the GPU has a fault. I am not super savvy with the mechanical side of PC's so I'm just worried there may be another underlying issue.