Question Black smearing on VA monitors

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone, i have just seen this video regarding black smearing on VA panels, if this is the case, how are people still buying these monitors. Is this really the case with most VA monitors?

Please see video below at 4:52
View: https://youtu.be/T384eg0Prgg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's the case with most VA panels but how obvious it is varies from panel to panel. If your buying a big screen VA panels are cheaper and they have significantly better contrast ratios than IPS.

I was buying a monitor recently, the black smearing, ghosting and viewing angles are why I bought an IPS and not a VA.

I have a VA panel monitor, a Samsung Odyssey G7, and I haven't noticed any smearing. Or at least any smearing that is bothersome enough for me to care about.

And while you could point at this flaw and ask "how are people still buying these monitors", I could ask why do people still buy IPS monitors when they suffer from IPS glow and have contrast ratios barely better than TN?

No monitor technology is perfect. Just pick and choose what you're willing to put up with.

I have a VA panel monitor, a Samsung Odyssey G7, and I haven't noticed any smearing. Or at least any smearing that is bothersome enough for me to care about.

And while you could point at this flaw and ask "how are people still buying these monitors", I could ask why do people still buy IPS monitors when they suffer from IPS glow and have contrast ratios barely better than TN?

No monitor technology is perfect. Just pick and choose what you're willing to put up with.
The Samsung Odyssey G7 is one of the best VA monitors, may I ask what you think to the curve?

You can't really compare IPS to TN, the difference between the two in viewing angles and colour accuracy is night and day but your correct every technology has it's strength and weaknesses.

I didn't go through the whole video, but I found it and posts like this one presenting misinformation with a sample size of one, in the post's case a cherry picked demonstration, and applying it as a blanket statement throughout the technology in general. Panel technology does have inherit limitations, yes, but at the end of the day, the quality of the panel is what matters moreso than just the underlying technology. It's like saying an Atkinson Cycle combustion engine is always superior to an Otto Cycle one, but you used a high-end Prius for the Atkinson Cycle example and, I dunno, a POS Ford Pinto engine for the Otto Cycle one

I mean heck, I'll keep pointing this TFT Central review of the ASUS PG287Q, a TN panel monitor, where they managed to color calibrate it such that it achieved basically a near perfect score, beating out Dell's Ultrasharp monitors, a lineup that's used for media production work.

The Samsung Odyssey G7 is one of the best VA monitors, may I ask what you think to the curve?
It's jarring for a bit, but you get used to it. I don't even really notice when I go back to a flat panel.

You can't really compare IPS to TN, the difference between the two in viewing angles and colour accuracy is night and day but your correct every technology has it's strength and weaknesses.
See my link on the color accuracy part. TN panels just lack color precision. But yes, the viewing angle is an inherit problem of the technology.

at the end of the day, the quality of the panel is what matters moreso than just the underlying technology. It's like saying an Atkinson Cycle combustion engine is always superior to an Otto Cycle one, but you used a high-end Prius for the Atkinson Cycle example and, I dunno, a POS Ford Pinto engine for the Otto Cycle one
I completely agree it's like saying the cheapest IPS monitor you can buy is a better display than something like your G7 because it's IPS. Or the cheapest TN panel is a better gaming display than a high end Asus IPS gaming monitor because TN in general is the faster technology.

That's interesting about the Asus TN panel but I guess it goes back to your point about quality, can only mitigate the viewing angle bit so far though unfortunately.

It's jarring for a bit, but you get used to it. I don't even really notice when I go back to a flat panel.
That's interesting, I did consider getting one but I was nervous about the curve and wasn't able to try one so stuck with a flat IPS. If you were buying again tomorrow would you go for a curve again or flat?

For gaming, yes VA tends to have the slowest response time by far when slightly changing shades and can be over 100ms. The full black-to-white response time though is on par with IPS so is often the only listed spec which is misleading. Overdriving the circuit (which is the technique of blasting extra voltage at the pixel until it does change to speed this up) can cause overshoot and accuracy issues unless done perfectly, but works more consistently on IPS than VA. Gamers should use TN and avoid sitting too far off-axis.

For office use though, the darker blacks and thus better contrast make it ideal for text, although even scrolling a document can show the smearing.

A bigger issue for some people can be the slight purpling that appears as you barely move off-axis from dead-on perpendicular. It really depends on how sensitive your eyes are to it. I can't see it so prefer VA over IPS. Even if you can see this, well you could sit further off-axis as a workaround.

Similarly, some people cannot stand how DLP projectors look (the ones with rotating color wheels and thousands of mirrors) because they see a flickering, flashing mess with color sparkles. Most people however cannot see this so it looks just fine to them.

Similarly, some people cannot stand how DLP projectors look (the ones with rotating color wheels and thousands of mirrors) because they see a flickering, flashing mess with color sparkles. Most people however cannot see this so it looks just fine to them.
I have a DLP projector, I only noticed when I went looking for it and only ever seen the rainbow effect on the credits at the end of the film.