BlackBerry OS to Fall Behind Windows Phone in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Makes sense. Android was the closest thing to a competitor to iOS, so naturally it makes sense that people not interested in an Apple phone (not available on carrier / didn't want to pay for a phone) would default to whatever free device the carrier pushed. That and since Samsung released an iPhone with the Samsung logo on it, lots were duped into the same experience. At least Samsuck acknowledged Apple's superiority and took the coward way of copying the winner's formula.

Meanwhile, research in motion sat back and did nothing, like Palm before it. And Microsoft has been actively pushing innovation and releasing a great new product.

I wish MS would have been able to snag Palm / web OS. That mixed with the new Microsoft stuff would have been an interesting platform! Instead, we get the same, tired Apple clones from Samsuck. At least HTC tries to be different, but that's tough when the OS itself is a copy (a really bad and poor attempt at one), too.

Hoping for MS success in the new mobile line.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Makes sense. Android was the closest thing to a competitor to iOS, so naturally it makes sense that people not interested in an Apple phone (not available on carrier / didn't want to pay for a phone) would default to whatever free device the carrier pushed. That and since Samsung released an iPhone with the Samsung logo on it, lots were duped into the same experience. At least Samsuck acknowledged Apple's superiority and took the coward way of copying the winner's formula.[/citation]
Seriously dude?

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
you would have to be retarded and blind to not tell the difference between a Samsung Galaxy series and an Apple iPhone. I've tried both and prefer Android!

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
WP might gain from BB decline, but the ones who will probably eat the most from their market share is Android since it has terminals with keyboard. iPhone is too pricey for the market BB is currently targeted to.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]WP might gain from BB decline, but the ones who will probably eat the most from their market share is Android since it has terminals with keyboard. iPhone is too pricey for the market BB is currently targeted to.[/citation]

You forgot to mention that there are a wide variety of android models, that will most likely fit into every BB consumer taste.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Never actually used an Android phone, much less Samsung phone, have you?[/citation]

Had the G1 for a year. It was a lousy POS with terrible battery life, nonexistent OS updates, and poor build quality. Nowhere close to iPhone quality.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]And Microsoft has been actively pushing innovation and releasing a great new product.[/citation]

You dare to describe WP7 in terms of innovation and "brand new product". While in reality it is a Windows CE kernel (ancient 2002-based tech) with a rewritten Windows Mobile UI and severely crippled featurelist. They cut out all the good stuff to make it as closed as possible. Wp7 is a POS. You can´t even send a bloody ringtone from one phone to another. How crappy is that?

I would like for everybody to stop glorifying Wp7. The reality is that users like me are DUPED. We whom spend 500 euro for a Lumia 800 in februari 20122 are dumbed like garbage in June 2012.

[citation]I wish MS would have been able to snag Palm / web OS. That mixed with the new Microsoft stuff would have been an interesting platform! [/citation]

I would have liked that Microsoft STOPPED snagging anything and for once DEVELOP SOMETHING OF THEIR OWN. The maggots!

[citation]Instead, we get the same, tired Apple clones from Samsuck. [/citation]
Samsung only sells because they FLOOD the market with stuff. Not just phones. But also laptops, dishwashers, washing machines, TV, bluray-players etc... AND they spend a fortune on advertising.

The people whom care about Android DON´T buy crapsung. I DON´T!

[citation]At least HTC tries to be different, but that's tough when the OS itself is a copy (a really bad and poor attempt at one), too.[/citation]

Android in itself IS NOT a copy of iOS. Samsung abused it to make an iOS-like UI on top of it. But that´s the price for freedom. Android is so open that ANYBODY can modify it with UI-"enhancements". In fact you complain about Samsung, what about Meizo with their Flyme OS! Though i´t doesn´t resemble iOS in looks but it DOES in underlyinmg usability.

Soon they will relaise their phones and then what. If they´re NOT succesfull Apple will NOT sue them and if they are then Apple will sue their ass off. The fucking hypocrites.

[citation]Hoping for MS success in the new mobile line.[/citation]

Frankly, I find that IF Nokia goes down (then that is CLEARLY Microsoft´s fault) then I HOPE Microsoft goes down with it! THEY FUCKED UP, They pay!

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Such a misleading use of statistics. Statcounter web usage data.... ever consider for a moment many BB user don't ever use it to access the web? We have thousands of BB in our corp, 0 Androids and 0 Iphones. It's used for secure email on a BES server after all, security the other 2 can't come close to, which is why IBM wants it. BB is going nowhere, though it may get new owners...

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Bases of competition for Smart phones had changed. When that happens, existing players are likely to go down and emerging entrants to succeed, until the next cycle.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Had the G1 for a year. It was a lousy POS with terrible battery life, nonexistent OS updates, and poor build quality. Nowhere close to iPhone quality.[/citation]
Lol you don't deserve an intelligent response.

[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]Lol you don't deserve an intelligent response.[/citation]
ROFLMAO, best one of the day, dude. He practically pwned himself, you didn't have to lift a finger. LOL.

[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]Such a misleading use of statistics. Statcounter web usage data.... ever consider for a moment many BB user don't ever use it to access the web? We have thousands of BB in our corp, 0 Androids and 0 Iphones. It's used for secure email on a BES server after all, security the other 2 can't come close to, which is why IBM wants it. BB is going nowhere, though it may get new owners...[/citation]
True that. Check this link for worldwide figures:
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23503312
Or if you prefer the same source:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201107-201207

Limiting data to just North America is misleading. It's like saying Renault doesn't exist because they have no presence in the US.

jdwii

Splendid
I had a Iphone and it costs a lot of money but then i got a nice Android and i love it, i can do so many things with it that the apple store blocks, you cant even Download the southpark app on the Iphone but you can on android, i can even play n64 roms for free. Not to mention i don't have to have itunes and this is the main reason Android is better then Apple. Not to mention for 200$ you can get a android phone with WAY more power in it when compared to the Iphone.

Android is simply less strict on their market, and their phones have the best Price/Performance out their.

Also my brother owned a Windows Phone and a Blackberry first of all a windows phone can do way more and typically windows phones have better hardware when compared to blackberry. But i still think they have a ways to go before they should be considered a TRUE competitor to Android and yes the Iphone.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
SameSuck makes lousy products that are poor quality. I have two tvs with issues and a blu-ray player that refuses to play certain discs, despite current firmware. I have not owned a single Samsung branded product that didn't turn out to be utter crap.

So yes, having invested almost $5000 in SameSuck products that have crapped out in

...and a funny (but true) article about market share:
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/android-continues-to-dominate-the-market-but-whose-marketshare-are-they-taking/

Enjoy.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Makes sense. Android was the closest thing to a competitor to iOS, so naturally it makes sense that people not interested in an Apple phone (not available on carrier / didn't want to pay for a phone) would default to whatever free device the carrier pushed. That and since Samsung released an iPhone with the Samsung logo on it, lots were duped into the same experience. At least Samsuck acknowledged Apple's superiority and took the coward way of copying the winner's formula.Meanwhile, research in motion sat back and did nothing, like Palm before it. And Microsoft has been actively pushing innovation and releasing a great new product.I wish MS would have been able to snag Palm / web OS. That mixed with the new Microsoft stuff would have been an interesting platform! Instead, we get the same, tired Apple clones from Samsuck. At least HTC tries to be different, but that's tough when the OS itself is a copy (a really bad and poor attempt at one), too.Hoping for MS success in the new mobile line.[/citation]

Congratulations - you lit up the fanboys like a roman candle.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]You dare to describe WP7 in terms of innovation and "brand new product". While in reality it is a Windows CE kernel (ancient 2002-based tech) with a rewritten Windows Mobile UI and severely crippled featurelist. They cut out all the good stuff to make it as closed as possible. Wp7 is a POS.[/citation]While I don't actually own a WP7 device, I've used them and I like them. The UI is a big part of the user experience, and it works pretty darn well. Who cares what the guts are, if it works? Also, you're saying the WinCE kernel is ancient because the first version came out 10 years ago? It's been overhauled multiple times since its release, and WP7 is pretty rock solid. You're even getting WP 7.8, which is a significant overhaul, especially for users who don't spend hours on end worrying about the kernel.

By your logic, the latest Android is based on an even more "ancient" core, with just a "rewritten mobile UI" slapped on. What's the difference? Do you think Android is built on a ground-up Google-written custom kernel? I bet you lose a lot of sleep stressing over what kind of bedrock lies deep underneath your house.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]You dare to describe WP7 in terms of innovation and "brand new product". While in reality it is a Windows CE kernel (ancient 2002-based tech) with a rewritten Windows Mobile UI and severely crippled featurelist.[/citation]
This is like saying that Windows 7 sucks because it's based on a kernel first introduced in 93. Just because WP7 uses the CE kernel doesn't mean it's the same kernel introduced in 96. The CE kernel used in WP7 (6.0 R3) was first introduced in 2009.

Android and iOS also suck because they are also based on a Kernel that is far older than Windows CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.