BlackBerry Priv Is Up For Pre-Order For $700 In The US, $900 CAD In Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Not convinced BlackBerry still has the premium brand fame it needs to ask that sort of price if they want to regain market share and become relevant again.

I get a feeling we'll get to see if BB was serious about bailing out of the phone business soon enough.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
way out of price range even to worth considering... hopefully this is their game plan; establish the product as "premium" then knock the price down heavily to put it on people's radars.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
It actually looks like a nice phone with decent feature set. I like the idea of the slider keyboard I used to be a blackberry user & always liked the hardware keyboard a lot & now that it is on Android it just opened up a whole world of apps for it. I think if they lower the price on this unit they will have a fair bit of success selling this phone. That is if people can get around the fudge that is all over the internet about black berry going down the tubes. If they have a hit in this device I am sure it will help them out a lot to move forward. It will not bail them out but they have to start some where I guess. Jumping ship on their own OS was a big start towards moving forward but I think they should have done it a few years ago but hey better late than never I guess.

actsai

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Nice phone, everything is right except the cost, but then I'm not even thinking about getting a new phone.

Keyboard is one long over-due lovely feature, no sarcasm there, it is just right.

Wouldn't a slider landscape keyboard be more logical? Certainly would make the keys a lot bigger (and thus more usable), and also the on screen keyboard in portrait isn't nearly as screen real estate costly as it is in landscape mode.

InvalidError

Titan

In business, sometimes selling for too cheap yields the impression of being an inferior product. They may have decided to try the opposite extreme.

RIM/BB might want to remember that full-QWERTY keyboards have also been on $100 Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy Q. I wish there was an updated version of that.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

In business, sometimes selling for too cheap yields the impression of being an inferior product. They may have decided to try the opposite extreme.

RIM/BB might want to remember that full-QWERTY keyboards have also been on $100 Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy Q. I wish there was an updated version of that.

Not when you're the underdog and all your competition is cheaper. This is MORE than a Galaxy S6, which is the market leader. You're an idiot if you think your also-ran product can outprice the market leader.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I've always been a fan of Blackberry.... I'm just not sure if the company has any idea what they're doing anymore. They were extremely late to the party with the Z10. Their followup to the Z10 was a flop. This phone, finally using updated hardware, is severely overpriced compared to their market position and brand recognition. I'm really disappointed in Blackberry at this point. I was hoping this phone would be my next move but they've proven they're out of touch. Setting a high price isn't going to get companies to buy into their products given their current financial position. It just makes them look desperate at this point.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The problem with blackberry isn't the OS or the hardware or the keyboard. Its the fact that Americans think BB is uncool and sometimes hated or embarrassing to take out in public. Being the only person with a BB would make many feel weird. The OS is technically superior to android and the hardware is well built. It runs android apps very well and they look really nice too i think but perception is everything. As long as the brand is hated they wont get anywhere. Brand recognition is all and everything when it comes to the regular consumer.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
--- Blackberry meeting. 10:32. Thursday. ---
- Guys? Any idea how to get back in the game?
- Let's make an Android phone!
- Hey! Great Idea!
- Yeah, and let's price it above what the market leaders currently charge for their flagship phones! People will think ours is more "premium" because of that!
- Wow! Another great idea! I feel a promotion is coming for you Bob!

--- Facepalm ---

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Unfortunately, that's no longer the case for many users. For example, on AT&T, I can ONLY pay full price for my phone or use the monthly payment plan. For reasons I don't quite understand, I can't get my handsets subsidized anymore. So I end up paying full price for my phone(s) one way or another.

I actually don't terribly mind that, but it throws the *actual* cost of a handset into stark relief for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.