BlackBerry Shares Continue to Slide Despite BB10 Reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a company on the brink, like RIM, I would have expected the last year or so to be one full of anticipation, rumor mill churning, their own people working in overdrive and coming out with firm release deadlines that get met for a change.
Instead, I have hardly heard any news from them, except the mellow "we're working on something, it will come out whenever".
Guess what, the market (the business customers, their old and reliable base) is in dire need of a phone that can last a few days away from a charger. They put out this new thing with a lackluster battery (IMO, the main shortcoming of this new phone). They could have made it really easy to go and install Android apps on it, instead of relying on the hopes that their own marketplace will attract developers again. Main thing, they could have made this a main selling point: "look at our phone, you can install your Android apps and they'll run natively, no need for you to wait for a BB app".
I really want them to succeed, but I begin to wonder if they want the same.

Frankly, customers are sheep. Unless BB was to come out with something completely different and spectacular, the sheep will follow their sheep herder, which currently is Android and iPhone. Win Phone has a chance, but that too is going to be rough, at least they have deep pockets to stick out the slow starting period.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]If you want to make some money, I would recommend buying some BB shares now. $13 a share is a buy, investors are fickle[/citation]

I'm shorting against BB's stock as of now.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Blackberry is a victim of vendor lock-in. It doesn't matter if their system is superior, people will just refuse to re-buy all software. It really shouldn't be his way. It should be that once you buy software you have the right to use every platform's version of it.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Shareholders bitch about anything.

They just need to shut up, and their stock will go up, but shareholders screw themselves.

The more shares get dumped = the more shares go down

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]For a company on the brink, like RIM, I would have expected the last year or so to be one full of anticipation, rumor mill churning, their own people working in overdrive and coming out with firm release deadlines that get met for a change. Instead, I have hardly heard any news from them, except the mellow "we're working on something, it will come out whenever". Guess what, the market (the business customers, their old and reliable base) is in dire need of a phone that can last a few days away from a charger. They put out this new thing with a lackluster battery (IMO, the main shortcoming of this new phone). They could have made it really easy to go and install Android apps on it, instead of relying on the hopes that their own marketplace will attract developers again. Main thing, they could have made this a main selling point: "look at our phone, you can install your Android apps and they'll run natively, no need for you to wait for a BB app".I really want them to succeed, but I begin to wonder if they want the same.[/citation]
Actually, running Android apps would be a sure way to get problems from Google, and that would probably finish them.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
some one needs to buy out rim and make it private. Shareholders are short term minded retards that most of them don't know a damn about technology.

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]some one needs to buy out rim and make it private. Shareholders are short term minded retards that most of them don't know a damn about technology.[/citation]
Remember their job creators... [:rayner428]

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
BB 10 will catch on. People didn't leave BB because they sucked, they left because something better came along (iphone). Give it some time, enough time for major apps to jump on the BB market and for people to get their upgrades, and BB will come back.

BB fans are very loyal and will definitely give this a chance when presented if they carry all the same apps and have same functionality to an android; especially businesses.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]There's stock is still up like 300% from what it was 6 month ago ($4)[/citation]

Yeah, but it's down over 10x from what it was 5 years ago, and down 5x what it was just a year and a half ago. RIMM stock is abysmal right now, don't kid yourself.

G

A lot of people hope that the market place does have room to support a few mobile phone OS makers. But the big problem is that the functionalities of the smartphones right now is mostly provided by 3rd party app makers, not the mobile phone OS makers themselves. And 3rd party app makers normally do not find there is enough incentive to support a small user base, and hence creating a vicious cycle that there are more apps available for the popular phone and less apps available for those that are not popular. This phenomenon has happened to the personal computing era in the 80s and 90s, and see where does C64, Amiga or Atari ST ends up, despite some machines are technically more superior. The smartphone wars is mostly over with people all around the world has already gotten a smartphone or some kind now. Even Microsoft will have problems finding app developers to write apps for W8 phone alone, their only advantage being trying to force W8 on every new PCs sold and hence force increase the user base. But the effectiveness of that tactics is also questionable now.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The Z10 looks like the best phone for me. I'm not a application-heavy users, I just need a light, fast, slick, usable phone. It's got great social connectivity, so what's not to like.

[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Actually, running Android apps would be a sure way to get problems from Google, and that would probably finish them.[/citation]
Not quite. Remember, Google does not have the monopoly on apps, same apps can be found on Amazon Appstore, SlideMe, to mention a couple of legit markets out there.

[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]Yeah, but it's down over 10x from what it was 5 years ago, and down 5x what it was just a year and a half ago. RIMM stock is abysmal right now, don't kid yourself.[/citation]

Name a stock that is not down, speculation really has no place in the stock market, actual performance of the company should be the only legal way to rate stock.

Its all a Big scam, do you think big brother wants you safe and secure from their eyes? NOPE

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]actual performance of the company should be the only legal way to rate stock.[/citation]

You talk like companies only exist for a few moment then go away...most all companies have long term relationships with financial companies (JPMorgan, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, etc.) and most, if not all, of a companies daily, real-time operations, are based off the accessible resources they've obtained only through the years of relationships with other companies; and not just financial companies, but any two companies that make an agreement to work directly with each other (or haven't made agreements with).

A company's stock value has no relationship to the company other than it's a derivative of the company's function, if you will. It's only once every influencing variable is taken into consideration is when the company's stock value becomes relavent and the company's current status and stock price become intimately related.

If Apple never came out with iPhone who knows where BB would be today...you see what I mean? "Actual performance" is directly regulated by what the company's past "actual performance" was, leading up all the way to present day.

The present is the past and the future is the present.

[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]You talk like companies only exist for a few moment then go away...most all companies have long term relationships with financial companies (JPMorgan, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, etc.) and most, if not all, of a companies daily, real-time operations, are based off the accessible resources they've obtained only through the years of relationships with other companies; and not just financial companies, but any two companies that make an agreement to work directly with each other (or haven't made agreements with).A company's stock value has no relationship to the company other than it's a derivative of the company's function, if you will. It's only once every influencing variable is taken into consideration is when the company's stock value becomes relavent and the company's current status and stock price become intimately related.If Apple never came out with iPhone who knows where BB would be today...you see what I mean? "Actual performance" is directly regulated by what the company's past "actual performance" was, leading up all the way to present day.The present is the past and the future is the present.[/citation]

Sounds like criminal business speak but hey what would I know about making educated guesses in place of looking at actual results.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]BB is dead because there are no app developers for it.[/citation]

BB10 launched with 70,000 apps. Sure it's not 500,000 like the iOS/droid app store, but 70,000 isn't bad, especially considering the OS isn't even released in the states yet for the public

meltbox360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I like how people think the stock reflects anything rational at all. I've been following the stock day by day for more than a month. The long term trends are logical (10% jumps when investors realize something that was stated a hundred times publicly) but the short term are basically just influenced by when s large chunk is shorted and trust me there has been TOO MUCH shorting going on. But then again I don't really dislike the shorts. They have to buy back someday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.