Question Blackscreen with high fanspin

Jul 9, 2023
Hello guys,

I'm having a problem where my PC will have a blackscreen with the GPU fans at 100%. I still have sound and can communicate through Discord but nothing else. I have to hard reset the PC afterwards. It happens with a lot of games especially on start up. For example R6 with DirectX will Blackscreen on startup but R6 with Vulcan will work relatively fine. I find that I have microstutters in games that will work with the only fix being lowering the options, limiting the frames etc. It doesn't even need a heavy load to happen this problem appears on games like AC1 or PCBS2. I've noticed that it got worse over time aswell.

These are my specs:

- CPU: Intel i5-10400F
- GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
- RAM: 2x G.Skill Aegis 8GB 3000mHz (X.M.P enabled)
- PSU: ThermalTake "Hamburg" 530W
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE B560M DS3H V2
- SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 500GB M.2

I basically tried everything related to the graphics driver because i suspected them to crash so I already tried multiple leagacy versions and a complete fresh install of the drivers. CPU, RAM, SSD and Motherboard are relatively new and have been installed as of January this year together with a new version of Win 11. I've cleared CMOS.

Thermals of CPU and GPU look pretty normal with the GPU rarely exceeding 70°C and the CPU sitting at around 50°C.

The Hardware itself looks alright I can't see any obvious damages at the GPU connectors or anything else. I have to add that I never took apart the GPU since I bought it in 2017 that means I also never changed the Thermalpaste. I just superficially cleaned the dust once or twice but like I said the thermals look alright to me. I also don't suspect the PSU although it is probably the oldest Part in my setup.

Do you guys have any idea? I can supply some stats from a few tests I did with HWinfo and GPU-Z but I have no idea about PCs really so I would really appreciate every Help I can get!

You have a power problem which means either PSU or GPU is to blame. If you happen to have access to another PSU that'd be the easiest place to start. If you do not then I'd suggest pulling the card apart and checking thermal pads, but you'd also have to re-paste as well if you do this and may need replacement pads.

Reactions: Dayvin911
Jul 9, 2023
You have a power problem which means either PSU or GPU is to blame. If you happen to have access to another PSU that'd be the easiest place to start. If you do not then I'd suggest pulling the card apart and checking thermal pads, but you'd also have to re-paste as well if you do this and may need replacement pads.
It really was as simple as that. I put new thermal compound on the die and it works really well now. That shouldn't be surprising after 6 years of using the factory paste but the tempratures looked alright so I never changed it before. I didn't have any thermal pads so I just left the old ones in I think I'll buy a new GPU soon anyway.

Thank you for your time thestryker!

Reactions: thestryker

TRENDING THREADS