Question Blank screen after failed overclock

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I tried to overclocking my Ryzen 7 2700x to 4.0ghz with 1.25v, now my display is totally blank. I tried clearing the CMOS, still nothing. When I press the power button, all the fans start spinning, but just no display.

You'll need to reset CMOS. Check your mobo manual for exact instructions or go online on another device to find the details. Or list you specs, and we can find the details on how to reset the CMOS for your mobo.

You've given the 2700x way to low voltage IMO. I'd be kicking it off at 1.3 at min. Remember, it's an 8c/16t CPU. It needs enough power to boot. At 4ghz, 1.25 was just to low.

Once you reset CMOS you will be able to boot to the bios again.

Seems like you just jumped right in without thinking too much about the OC. Here's a great guide to help get it right : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Read it a few times, and it will help you get a sustainable, repeatable OC.

Edit: For Ryzen chips, 1.3-1.375 seems to be the sweetspot for OC'ing. Pushing more voltage than that isn't worth it IMO for the moderate increases in clockspeed, versus the rise in temps.

Intel chips operate at much lower voltages typically. Often in the 1.24-1.26 range for high OC's. Different chips.
You can use core temp to get your VID for your chip. This will give you a point of reference for your OC'ing escapades :)

When you take out the battery, you may have to switch a jumper. You switch the jumper for 30 seconds, then replace the battery.

Check your manual. That will tell you exactly what to do.

I'm sure the bios is recoverable. Don't worry too much right now.

But just to be sure, did you change anything else in the bios other than voltage and multiplier (CPU)?

Also, listing your full specs at this stage is important, and will help more.

Ok, so what do you suggest I do, as I cannot get into the BIOS

Did you click the links? They tell you how to do a CMOS reset on your mobo! This is the first step. If you do it correctly it will reset and allow you access the bios upon restart. That is, providing there is no other issue with your mobo (which I doubt) as long as all you did was change the core voltage for the CPU and the CPU multiplier for your OC attempt. Did you change, SOC, CPU offset, mem voltage, or anything else?

What PSU do you have? It's possible, but unlikely (if your PSU was junk) then by OC the 2700x you may have just bricked the PSU. I'm not saying it's the issue here, I don't think it is, but it could be relevant.

Ah, don't be too hard. I've been there myself. Most of my knowledge has come from this forum, and wanting to learn about this stuff. I'm an enthusiast rather than an expert. I was the same. Made lots of mistakes. The good thing though is, most of these mistakes are easily fixed. They just don't seem like they are initially.

Hmm, it's possible it's now a PSU issue. Hard to tell. There is some power going to the system as the fans spin up. But that doesn't tell us much. The only real way to check if it's the PSU is to swap it for another (but something you know is good, and rated for your system. A decent 550w PSU). Alternatively you can bring the system to a repair store and get them to swap the PSU. Maybe a friend has one you can borrow? Sadly with HW diagnosis, it's often a time consuming, or annoyance to get it fixed.

With a 'sketchy' PSU you run the risk of something like this happening. Where the PC just won't power up. Its hard to tell exaclty what your issue is. Can you link the PSU make/model. There will be a sticker on the side that will tell you exactly.