Blank screen during/after installing AMD drivers.

J4YP33

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am facing some problems updating the driver for my Club 3D Radeon HD 7750. The driver versions I have tried so far are 15.7.1, 14.12 and 13.12. DDU is used to uninstall the drivers each time I try an older version.

When installing the drivers from a wizard, I uncheck everything except the display drivers. The monitor goes blank during the installation and never recovers (I'm pretty sure the computer has crashed at this point).

When the drivers are installed automatically via Windows Update, the monitor also goes blank after the installation is complete. When the computer is restarted, everything is normal up till the log in screen (Windows is able to boot up till the blank log in screen).

I have to boot into safe mode to uninstall the AMD drivers and revert to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before I can see anything on the monitor.

What may be the problem?

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770T-UD3P (Socket M2)
Graphics: DELL ST2320L (1920x1080@64Hz), Club 3D Radeon HD 7750

J4YP33

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I tried the above steps with a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro, and the same problem persists. Could the gpu be faulty even though all is fine when Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is used?

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
Install AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 and install every component. Do not untick other options like catalyst center (although not sure if that can be unticked). You can untick the raptr or amd gaming evolved app. Those extra components of the software are optimised for certain games and might improve gaming performance. Also before installing, make sure nothing related to amd is pre installed. Use the amd install manager and select express uninstall all amd softwares. Also, when you execute the catalyst software, some files and extracted to a location, usually C:\AMD. Delete that folder before installing AMD catalyst. Redownload catalyst to make sure the executable file is not corrupted.