[SOLVED] Blast from the past question (Gigabyte z77x-ud5h)

Nov 23, 2020
I have this board (z77x-ud5h) laying around and I am going to put it into a PC for my wife. She loves RGB fans but I am not sure if they are compatible with such an old board. The fan headers are all 4 pin but I don't know where to check if they support RGB.

If they don't, does anyone know a way to set up RGB fans with this board?

Solution
I've used an older gigabyte motherboard (GA-890GPA-UD3H), and it ran the LED fan that came with the raidmax smilodon case without any issues. I think you could use 3pin/4pin to molex connectors and connect them right to psu if you really wanted to, they won't be regulated rpm wise though, unless you got a fan controller of some sort. Its possible to do, just not pretty with the additional headers/wires imo.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I've used an older gigabyte motherboard (GA-890GPA-UD3H), and it ran the LED fan that came with the raidmax smilodon case without any issues. I think you could use 3pin/4pin to molex connectors and connect them right to psu if you really wanted to, they won't be regulated rpm wise though, unless you got a fan controller of some sort. Its possible to do, just not pretty with the additional headers/wires imo.

Reactions: Yoyi
Solution
Nov 23, 2020

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. The case has decent amount of space to hide stuff around the HDD cage, might have to find some sort of RGB/Fan Speed controller to plug the fans into. Starts getting super convoluted if the fans have proprietary headers like the TT ones. Then I will have to go FAN > TT Hub > RGB/FAN Controller > PSU and use a remote.