Blew fuses on my hard drives... is recovery possible/easy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know how I did it but when I switched power supply on my computer all of my hard drives and CD drives simultaneously went dead. They no longer respond to anything. I'm assuming I blew the fuses or whatever they're called, I'm just wondering if theres any way I can recover the data from the main hard drive myself? I imagine it would all be in tact and everything... since it didn't die in the usual fashion. Any luck for me?

Thanks!

mskhuranaa

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me. I can't transfer adaptive data, so here I give up idea of recovery of data, I am sending it for replacement under warranty.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Thanks guys, just today i replaced a 12V TVS diode on my WD green (from external WD case) and it works after being overvolted with 18Volt power supply three years ago (yes I left it alone for that long "knowing" there is no easy solution. Oh I was so wrong! and no, I was not intended to 'run' on 18V, somebody switched the voltage higher! this thread helped too: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/273572-14-500gb-external-hard-drive-wrong-power-supply

Dec 24, 2021
You don't need Data Recovery, just Diode Removal. If you are lucky, it will cost you nothing.

If you have trouble locating the shorted TVS diode, upload a detailed photo of the component side of the PCB(s).
Hello brother

I am facing issue.i removed one diode but HDD not working same condition.mine is sata Seagate 1tb laptop HDD.there are two diodes big and small..big I removed till it's not working..only I removed not replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.