[SOLVED] Blinking underscore on usb boot

Jun 15, 2020
Hi ive had this issue for a long while now and really need to resolve it, when i use my usb as a bootable media tool and go into the bios it doesn't work at all, theres a windows icon that flashes for a second then it stays on th blinking underscore.Ive been searching forums or days and i even tried using a formatted (empty) harddrive to download windows on from the usb, and i still gfet the same blinking underscore, i tried using rufus to burn an iso onto my usb to try it but i get the same problem, and i already followed tutorials on the command prompt to fix this issue but to no avail, could someone pleeease help me, this is my fourth day without my pc being able to reset, even resetting from windows doesnt allow me to reset my pc, i have tonnes of work to do and im really worried, any help is much appreciated

Solution
Sorry for the long delay-I am busy these days. The image you sent shows some problem-most likely a driver- however also means that you haven't been doing the thing I advised right. We plan to ditch the installed Windows and directly boot to that USB. After burning the drive boot to the BIOS and boot the USB drive (If you have disabled the WHQL support, this means the system is in legacy mode, and vice versa, if it's enabled, it's the UEFI mode, you said your GPU doesn't support UEFI, that's pretty odd, however your choice on what to do. I still prefer having a shot with UEFI), the one with EFI tag if UEFI, without the tag if BIOS.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
That's pretty odd. Can you see that USB in boot order in BIOS? Is it marked as "EFI" or normal? Might as well the USB has EFI/GPT Windows installer and you're on BIOS mode. Also check the setting "Legacy Mode" or "CSM Support", it should be off. Also turn off fastboot, secure boot and etc. in BIOS. One forum also suggested that you should turn off VT-d if you are running Intel.

Jun 15, 2020
Yes i can see the usb in the boot order and theres both the normal one and the uefi one, i disabled whql (msi equiv of csm) and turned off all those settings and im running on amd. these are my specs:

msi b350 tomahwak
16 gb ram
ryzen 1500x
gtx660 (uefi not supported)

Jun 15, 2020
That's pretty odd. Can you see that USB in boot order in BIOS? Is it marked as "EFI" or normal? Might as well the USB has EFI/GPT Windows installer and you're on BIOS mode. Also check the setting "Legacy Mode" or "CSM Support", it should be off. Also turn off fastboot, secure boot and etc. in BIOS. One forum also suggested that you should turn off VT-d if you are running Intel.

im not sure what you mean by "Might as well the USB has EFI/GPT Windows installer and you're on BIOS mode. "

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Sorry for the long delay-I am busy these days. The image you sent shows some problem-most likely a driver- however also means that you haven't been doing the thing I advised right. We plan to ditch the installed Windows and directly boot to that USB. After burning the drive boot to the BIOS and boot the USB drive (If you have disabled the WHQL support, this means the system is in legacy mode, and vice versa, if it's enabled, it's the UEFI mode, you said your GPU doesn't support UEFI, that's pretty odd, however your choice on what to do. I still prefer having a shot with UEFI), the one with EFI tag if UEFI, without the tag if BIOS.

Solution