[SOLVED] Blinking White LED's (Abnormal Power Supply) on New Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce OC 8GB with New CPU & Old PSU

Aug 8, 2019
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if you think I need to buy a new PSU based on some upgrades that I just made to my pc.

Right now I'm seeing blinking white LED's on the graphics card when I boot up the PC. On the manufacturer website, this blinking white light indicates "abnormal power supply". The PC runs normally and I'm able to benchmark, run games, etc without any crashing (although I haven't put any hugely heavy load on it).

I bought a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce OC 8GB yesterday as well as an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x. Installed both with my 2 year old Corsair CX550M Bronze 550W.

The manufacturer website for the GPU recommends 550W, but I've read a few people recommend more and since the card is overclocked, should upgrading to a Corsair 650W do the trick? Even though it's working now I don't want to damage any of my new parts in case this is causing an issue.

(My MOBO is ASrock AB350M pro4 if that matters at all).
Thanks very much!

Reactions: sriny1512
Solution
They're clearly trying to upsell you. I showed you the math. The most that build would draw is about 400w.
200w is the max for this card, overclock included. Here's the link with that info: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205759/gigabyte-rtx2070-8192-181024

A 450w unit can power that, but some models won't have all the connectors you'd need.
Unless you can find a quality 650w unit - not that you'd need that much ATM - close in price to a 550w unit, settle with getting another 550w psu.
Just make sure it has enough connectors for all your gear.

"...the card is overclocked, you'd be safer with a 650w psu..." :hum:
I'd like to tell them to stop with that nonsense.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 3600x - 95w
Gigabyte 2070 Windforce OC - 200w
Add 50/100w for everything else
= 395w max
No need to change the psu(and not to a 650w one either) unless it really is faulty.
Is the card connected with 2 separate psu cables, and are they secure on both ends?

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks! That's a relief (unless I have an issue with my GPU).

It's connected with one PSU cable that has two optional 8 slots coming off of it (optional as in can be 6 or 8).

Sorry I'm not super Savvy, but basically the same cable splits and is coming from he same port in the PSU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's why it's blinking then. The 'splitter' cable powered the card, but it won't be enough to 'run' it.
You need 2 separate cables, an 8-pin and a 6-pin.
If your particular unit does not have an extra pcie cable, or is missing an extra pcie port on the psu entirely, then you would need a unit that does.

Aug 8, 2019
Much Appreciated!

I actually called my local shop to see if they sold separate PCIe cables and they told me that since the card is overclocked I'd be safer with a 650W PSU. Not sure if they're just trying to upsell me, but they also told me that the splitter that comes with the 550/650W should simply work (especially because these corsair PSU's 550W/650W only have one outbound slot allocated for any GPU.

I took some pics of my situation so I'll probably drop by after work and bring up what you mentioned to see if there's another PSU that will support the graphics card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They're clearly trying to upsell you. I showed you the math. The most that build would draw is about 400w.
200w is the max for this card, overclock included. Here's the link with that info: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205759/gigabyte-rtx2070-8192-181024

A 450w unit can power that, but some models won't have all the connectors you'd need.
Unless you can find a quality 650w unit - not that you'd need that much ATM - close in price to a 550w unit, settle with getting another 550w psu.
Just make sure it has enough connectors for all your gear.

"...the card is overclocked, you'd be safer with a 650w psu..." :hum:
I'd like to tell them to stop with that nonsense.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 8, 2019
LOL thanks, i'm new to the PC Building world so I tend to believe whatever I hear.

I'll go for a 550w if I can find one that has enough connectors for two seperate cables to the GPU.

Thanks again for saving me some money :)

Reactions: Phaaze88