Blizzard Considering StarCraft 2 Multiplayer as Free-to-Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Small non-offending advertisements at the loading screens would pay for F2P a bit.

Maybe one purchasable perk are hats for the 'premium' player's units.

*Obviously not a reference to Hat Fortress 2, OBVIOUSLY*

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
i probably wont see it till 2016 but im waiting for the starcraft 2 battle chest. i just want to play the campaigns but not pay 50 bucks for each one. I dont play multiplayer anymore, i used to hang out at a pcbang with a bunch of koreans, days would pass by... not gonna go through that again.

[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]i probably wont see it till 2016 but im waiting for the starcraft 2 battle chest. i just want to play the campaigns but not pay 50 bucks for each one. I dont play multiplayer anymore, i used to hang out at a pcbang with a bunch of koreans, days would pass by... not gonna go through that again.[/citation]

wow

Dec 2, 2011
packing in features that will extend the replayability for seemingly years – the recently-released Diablo 3 is a perfect example.

Say what?

Let's be honest here. The influence and success of WOW killed Starcraft II and Diablo III. Once upon a time Blizzard was great, but not anymore and not for a long time.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Not a bad idea from a business perspective. If there is one audience that's ripe for a massive round of nickle and diming it's SCII players. Especially ones who like to compete.

Good luck with keeping the system balanced with an F2P model though. They had enough problems getting it working as it is.

IB

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Why doesn't Blizzard consider finishing the other two installments of Starcraft 2 before they do anything. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty was released July 27, 2010, over 2 years now and no Zerg or Protoss expansions. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on this one. Starcraft was great but the second one just didn't bring enough new to the table for $$60 USD.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomshardware[/nom] Blizzard has always driven itself to make that investment worthwhile for the end-user, packing in features that will extend the replayability for seemingly years – the recently-released Diablo 3 is a perfect example.[/citation]Sat what? re-playability in D3? LOL!
Yao-ming-meme.jpg

nazgron

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Tomshardware said:
Blizzard has always driven itself to make that investment worthwhile for the end-user, packing in features that will extend the replayability for seemingly years – the recently-released Diablo 3 is a perfect example.
You mean...the same Azmodan run for seemingly years?

pomop

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]I'm kind of confused.I purchased SC2. I went online. I never paid anything to go online. Was I supposed to? Was that a trial? Did it change recently?[/citation]
They're talking about the multiplayer simply being free. As in you won't have to buy Heart of the swarm to play the online component of the game. In order to play the campaign, you would have to purchase the game.

rdc85

Honorable
..they fend off people by deactivating LAN play, kill competitive tournament.... (In my country where the infrastructure is bad, LAN is a place we can practice and having good time)

Sorry, but this doesn't appeal for me.........

They did say before sc2 went out that "expansions" will not be required to play online these "expansions", just for the campaign... I wonder what kinda bullshit they are trying to do with that statement now :D.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Maybe they want to promote eSports since the #1 problem was that DRM didn't allowed local LAN play. I think they just want to give free the Wings Of Liberty campaign so people will buy the two expansions, Heart of the Swarm coming soon and Legacy of the Void coming on 2 years or more..

sieged

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Come On Trolls! Get over the no Lan Play!! Blizzad will not bring it back ..get over it and move on. If you can't afford internet to play and you don't want to pay $50 bucks for the game ...then we know your not interested for free-to-play.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Is SC 2 online a pay by the month for online, or is it like adding an option to a new car, pay once and have it forever? Still a stupid idea regardless, but... Seriously, what happened to the Blizz that made SC and the ORIGINAL WoW (not whatever the hell it's morphed into now)?

EDIT: OOOOOOH So you mean if I buy SC Terran Game I can only play online as Terran? This is why I stopped playing Blizzard's games... I try to apply this magical thing called "logic" to them and it doesn't work so I get mad.

No, that's not how it works, read the article. The restriction to playing Terran only applies to the DEMO version of SC2, which is available for free. If you buy the full retail copy of SC2 you can play online as any side. The single player campaign is Terran-only since this is Part I in a 3-part series.

G

judging by the amount of money the top developers make people are really stupid to accept such high prices, you are basically buying ludicrously overvalued 1 and 0´s. Computer games add nothing to humanity thus it is unreasonable for companys to make billions of peoples addictions, its no better than alkohol and cigarette industries. Games should be developed as a labour of love by people who do it for fun on their spare time and improve as a side-effect of the progress of usefull technology, no need to rush things by giving money to game companys.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
F2P model is just crap. It is deceptive. Nothing is ever free. My point is that they don't want to "give" you anything, they just want you to get hooked on the little bit they give you so you will spend money, kind of like a drug dealer. So you can rest assure that whatever free thing they give you is just going to be lacking compared to what must be purchased. And they want you to purchase in the recurring fashion where they don't have to do as much work, not like making and polishing a game then charging a one-time fixed price for it.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]i probably wont see it till 2016 but im waiting for the starcraft 2 battle chest. i just want to play the campaigns but not pay 50 bucks for each one. I dont play multiplayer anymore, i used to hang out at a pcbang with a bunch of koreans, days would pass by... not gonna go through that again.[/citation]
The first game was released at $60 and each of the two expacs will be $40. I've seen the first game for as low as $30 and I'm sure you could pick up the expacs for $20 a pop after a while.
Also SC2 is a very good game. much better than the POS that is D3. SC2 stayed true to the original while D3 varied from D2 and was in fact a broken game.

Status
Not open for further replies.