Blizzard Cracks Down Erotic Role-Playing in WoW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]Rule # 37: Night Elf Chicks are hot[/citation]
Rule # 37, subsection a: Blood Elf Chicks are hotter! :p

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
So I guess we have two things here:
A son that's dumb enough to get caught, and a remarkably naive dad. Seems pretty in line with the norm these days...

G

They have a built in profanity filter; and the ability to turn off the chat, and of course move your character out of that area.

It is a shame people cant have fun without some Nazi Parent showing up to ruin it.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Wait... so people didn't keep they're roleplay sex private? I can understand the other stuff being pubilc but the sex? That's sad. Go have sex in the streets, people will arrest you faster.

G

This guy's kid is 15, or in other words, high school age. There's a lot worse things him and his friends could be doing than laughing about adult language being used in an online role-playing game. : \

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
perhaps they are just trying to keep their T rating... also this seems rather creepy, so I'm all for bliz cracking down on it.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Its sad really that we talk to each other in such ways, don't get me wrong i am not against cybersex and role playing but the way in which it takes place is just showing the intellect or the lack thereof of the persons taking part in the conversations.

There is a huge difference between erotica and vulgar trash talk ... apparently its hard to notice a difference.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
As long as it's privately conducted between two consenting losers, I say let them have their fun. The responsibility beyond that should lie with the parents, in the case of children, to at least those who make an attempt to see what their kids are doing, like the father in the article. Handle it at the lowest level, that's the way to go. Blizzard isn't anyone's mommy and daddy and shouldn't be expected to act as such, unless it's pertaining to publicly broadcast inappropriate content. If the kids' in their are being told by their real parents to either cut it out, or lose your account, that should suffice. Then, ideally, you only have consenting "adults" who actually want to be in there. Sounds like they're doing the right thing in my book.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]...I think Bliz should get some balls and ban people, sexual comments have no place in a game with SO many children. Rasism doesnt have a place anywhere with anyone... Ban these people already![/citation]
I think the parents who let their kids play online gaming and can't handle the heat should be banned in real life...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I put on my robe and wizard hat.[/citation]
LMFAO! I haven't read those funny cybersex chat logs in a long time!!!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
How about a few servers were it's 18+ only?Ban anyone they discover is under.
I know personally I don't want some dumb kids around some days...

spartanii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
[citation][nom]phraun[/nom]So I guess we have two things here:A son that's dumb enough to get caught, and a remarkably naive dad. Seems pretty in line with the norm these days...[/citation]
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]They have a built in profanity filter; and the ability to turn off the chat, and of course move your character out of that area. It is a shame people cant have fun without some Nazi Parent showing up to ruin it.[/citation]

Apperently that dad is both a bad parent for not controling his kids and control freak nazi for controling his kids? which is it? Theres a difference between fun and hate. Would you want your kid to be around vulgar and hateful people in real life no. Would you let people run up and down your street yelling racist things and sexist things no. Or how about co-workers or bosses would you let them get away with it no. So why the hell should the internet be any different? Try to look at the larger social problems that develop because of crap like this. sex is a part of human nature but as for gay bashing and racisim, those should be dealt with swiftly and severely. you can have your view on a race or sexual preference but keep it to yourself others dont want to here it.

spartanii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
All you people bashing on parents do you have kids? If you dont shut the hell up if you do please write a book title "How to raise a child in the modern world where a parent has as much control over there kid as a voter does taxes"

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Little Lost Linden[/nom]Holy Moly. This should fall under freedom of speech.[/citation]

if there is any thing any one should learn in life it would be the simple fact that "freedom of speech" is all just a lie.

all it ever really meant is you are free to bad mouth the goverment and or politicans. true freedom of speech is just a myth that rude assholes tell themselves so they can feel good about being a rude asshole . you can't publicly cuss cops , or make death threats at other people ,you cant get on the radio or tv and start blasting profanities , infact there was never one time in the history of this country that such activites of speech were ever considered socially acceptible. now don't getme wrong ,i';m an advocate of Free sopeech myself , but let'sface the facts and that those facts are , there is really no such thing as free speech period , so no need to be so naive over this article lol

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
As a parent, it's naive to think that your 15 year old son hasn't heard much, much worse at school or in the company of his friends. Nevertheless, I have to commend Blizzard for their response to this situation. Not many gaming companies, especially one with such a large player base to manage, would bother to respond to such a situation in a timely manner. This dedication to player-developer interaction is seen across the board too, in the Cataclysm Beta forums for example. There you have developers answering very specific questions on a daily basis. These are questions they have no real obligation to answer as well, especially considering that they are in reference to an unreleased product. So say what you want about Blizzard, but the reality is that there are few other companies that would even bother to address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.