Blizzard Hacked, Emails and Secret Question Answers Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Oh wow, as if the e-mails "Your WoW account has been suspended, click this link to reactivate" weren't already rolling in (don't even play that game), now it will be worse.

I only have Diablo III which I have not played in close to 2 months. They can keep it as I am done with Blizzard. Since Activision merged with Blizzard, they are as bad as EA.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I feel even more sorry for the people who just wanted to play Diablo 3 in single-player and due to the forced online play now had their email addresses ect in the wrong hands. I really hope that nothing more was leaked. The cloud is secure enough! /end sarcasm!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Well, I wonder what all the blind fan kiddies who said Blizzard could never get hacked will say now.[/citation]

The same thing most cloud lovers do by continuing to calm the cloud is secure hack after hack, trying to find excuses for each while there is none other than denial of the risk it poses to collect all eggs in one spot. Sure its possible to make a system very hard to hack but in truth no system is completely unhackable and the more interesting information it contains the more likely it will attract the attacks of the really skilled people.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]Oh wow, as if the e-mails "Your WoW account has been suspended, click this link to reactivate" weren't already rolling in (don't even play that game), now it will be worse.I only have Diablo III which I have not played in close to 2 months. They can keep it as I am done with Blizzard. Since Activision merged with Blizzard, they are as bad as EA.[/citation]

Yeah, the hackers have to play world of casual pandacraft and diablo 3 if they get my account, thats enough punishment for hacking :D

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Man i feel sorry for all these companies this is happening to. Blizzard, sony, linkedin, etc[/citation]

Why?

Sony brought it on themselves. The exploit used was as basic as you can get when it comes to hacking.

If they had good security they wouldn't be hacked as no one would go through that much trouble for no gain.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Maybe if they would at least use CASE SENSITIVE passwords it may help.For real, if you have any blizzard game go try it. Case means nothing type a pass all cap/all small/or mixed it does not care at all.[/citation]

Just tried it, apparently you never have. They are case sensitive.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I feel even more sorry for the people who just wanted to play Diablo 3 in single-player and due to the forced online play now had their email addresses ect in the wrong hands. I really hope that nothing more was leaked. The cloud is secure enough! /end sarcasm![/citation]
It's not like BNet is the only place which stored our personal details. There are FB, Amazon, PP, Newegg maybe, xlive/psn, steam, etc.

Also it's been clear since long ago that D3 would be online-only, you are not forced to buy the game.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
At one time, they weren't but I think it changed in the last few years. there was a time I could mix cases on my password and it wouldn't care.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]It's not like BNet is the only place which stored our personal details. There are FB, Amazon, PP, Newegg maybe, xlive/psn, steam, etc.Also it's been clear since long ago that D3 would be online-only, you are not forced to buy the game.[/citation]

World of Warcrafts Password is case sensitive
Diablo 3's Password is Not case sensitive

I know this from testing it my self back when D3 first launched. People where mighty upset you could not use symbols in your password and it was not case sensitive making it super easy to brute force.

I really like to know why there is a difference between the two systems.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Why?Sony brought it on themselves. The exploit used was as basic as you can get when it comes to hacking. If they had good security they wouldn't be hacked as no one would go through that much trouble for no gain.[/citation]

How difficult it was to get in isn't really relevant. They were still the victim of an illegal act. If someone accidently leaves their front door unlocked, that isn't justification for someone else to enter their house and rob them. Was leaving the door locked the owner's fault? Absolutely, but if someone really wanted to break into your house there is very little you could do stop them. A locked door will not stop a skilled thief. Same thing goes here, these companies may not have the most sophisticated security systems in place, but their is very little they can do to stop skilled hackers that are targetting them no matter what practical lengths they go through to secure their network.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Also it's been clear since long ago that D3 would be online-only, you are not forced to buy the game.[/citation]
And all the fan kiddies assured everyone that Blizzard could never get hacked, that online only meant no duping and no exploits such as a class being able to be invulnerable.

Well, all 3 has happened.

Of course since Blizzard crippled the authentication system with the "feature" of not asking for the authenticator if the login server thinks your account is being logged in from the same IP adress which took possible hacking from the rare and difficult Man in the Middle Attack to the much easier IP spoofing, I'm not shocked because they have proven they are not all that concerned with security.

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
phew all i have is star craft II, have not played that in a while. Nothing worth stealing from me as I never bought anything directly from blizzard.

peroludiarom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]World of Warcrafts Password is case sensitive Diablo 3's Password is Not case sensitiveI know this from testing it my self back when D3 first launched. People where mighty upset you could not use symbols in your password and it was not case sensitive making it super easy to brute force. I really like to know why there is a difference between the two systems.[/citation]
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What? No information stored in plain text?[/citation]

Man, stop talking bull***s please. Diablo 3 and WOW uses the same password from Battle.net, which is CASE SENSITIVE.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]peroludiarom[/nom]Man, stop talking bull***s please. Diablo 3 and WOW uses the same password from Battle.net, which is CASE SENSITIVE.[/citation]
I tested it my self obviously ur either a troll our ignorant they are the same password just in D3 its not case sensitve which is scary.

mdahouse

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]How difficult it was to get in isn't really relevant. They were still the victim of an illegal act. If someone accidently leaves their front door unlocked, that isn't justification for someone else to enter their house and rob them. Was leaving the door locked the owner's fault? Absolutely, but if someone really wanted to break into your house there is very little you could do stop them. A locked door will not stop a skilled thief. Same thing goes here, these companies may not have the most sophisticated security systems in place, but their is very little they can do to stop skilled hackers that are targetting them no matter what practical lengths they go through to secure their network.[/citation]

While I agree that accidently leaving your front door open doesn't justify someone else breaking in and stealing your possessions, the problem here is that what is stolen isn’t their possessions, it is mine and yours.
They, (insert company name here), have a duty of care to protect our information. They should be storing it safely and be proactive in keeping it safe. I’ll wager is it harder to get to their source code than it is to get to our private information.
I think they would try harder if they thought THEY would lose money from the loss.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Man i feel sorry for all these companies this is happening to. Blizzard, sony, linkedin, etc[/citation]

i say a big fat no , shitzard and jay wilson ruin diablo and the whole game is based on the rmah , so i guess they didnt even bother to secure there website when they got the money and also now that we have profiles , 90% of the players have more than 200k elitekills , bot much? . linkedin , the website is rubbish and it stores all of your info , and sony , well they deserved it cos they did that to that guy who modified his one console ... they all deserve it .....

Status
Not open for further replies.