Blizzard Hasn't Given Up on Diablo 3 for Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]I'm surprised Blizzard wouldn't consider using the wiiu tablet, as I would think it would be absolutely useful for rts oriented birds eye games for inventory and skill management.[/citation]
Wouldn't surprise me if it can't run it, thats why. The WiiU is about the same as the 360 & the PS3 power wise.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]raven2510[/nom]Wouldn't surprise me if it can't run it, thats why. The WiiU is about the same as the 360 & the PS3 power wise.[/citation]

It's capable of a lot more then the 360 and PS3. It has a slower CPU, but it's GPU is significantly faster, and it has 2 GB's of RAM, compared to the xbox's 512 MB, and the PS3's 256+256

mpd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Where is the promised PVP?

If they could spare the time looking for more players, at least make your words count.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
it's a terrible game...

optimized around a real-money auction house... tuned to encourage you to spend money... not tuned to make the game enjoyable.

and it's failing... so who cares.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]raven2510[/nom]Wouldn't surprise me if it can't run it, thats why. The WiiU is about the same as the 360 & the PS3 power wise.[/citation]

D3 isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse either. The ps3 and XBox could probably still run it. The issue is more about the fact the Wii U is not going to be as easy to port a PC title to as a Microsoft system would be. I doubt Nintendo would be interested in sharing their network with battle.net either.

Yes it would be a sensible fit, even if it did mean scaling back the graphics. The gamepad would work well with D3 or an RTS. That would also take a special programming effort that Blizzard would not bother with. It takes far too much effort for lazy devs to port something to the Wii U.

But I do like how Tom's copypasters always neglect to mention the Wii U when talking about "next gen consoles." A system even matching what current gen is doing and still runs a second screen is still next gen guys, especially when the other companies are planning on copying it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Diablo 3 can run on an Intel HD 3000 so running on a console is no problem. The problem is Blizzard made a pathetic game with Diablo 3, their priorities are not what it used to be and If they're venturing into the console market I will stop giving a crap about Blizzard because I will probably not be buying anymore of their games. Their only chance in my book is if they release Warcraft 4 and make it phenomenal.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
how incopetent are blizzard...

champions of norath
champions return to arms
the balders gate games
there was a launch title game like this for the ps3

seriously, these games are almost better on the console than on the computer, control wise, you have to be a complete screw up to not be able to get this out yet...

tone some of the graphics down, and ship it on the console it IS NOT THAT HARD.

and i am takeing this from the prospective that they are a company with 100's of employees, many of which can code, so dont tell me that if you think you can do better do it yourself crap, fact is they are a massive company and fail to exploit one area where their game would thrive is beyond retarded at this point.

[citation][nom]Formata[/nom]For any fans of Diablo 2... that were sorely disappointed by Diablo 3. I recommend taking a look at Torchlight 2. Loving that game[/citation]
if anything, people interested in D1 and D2 need to look at Marvel Heroes, which has the original developer for D1 and D2 David Breivik basically making it the soul successor game to the series.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]if anything, people interested in D1 and D2 need to look at Marvel Heroes, which has the original developer for D1 and D2 David Breivik basically making it the soul successor game to the series.[/citation]
Humorously enough, Torchlight 2's developers also worked on D1 and D2. Max and Erich Schaefer founded Runic Games.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]It's capable of a lot more then the 360 and PS3. It has a slower CPU, but it's GPU is significantly faster, and it has 2 GB's of RAM, compared to the xbox's 512 MB, and the PS3's 256+256[/citation]
Don't forget that 1 of it's 2 GB's is unusable by games. And while I agree that the GPU is better than the 360's or PS3's, it seems to me that the fact that the CPU is slower would bottleneck the GPU in most situations. That seems to be the case, as several developers have commented on how the CPU is bottlenecking the system. I'm sure that certain developers will take the time to work around that limitation, making games that are less CPU intensive and more GPU intensive, but whether or not Blizzard will is the question. The minimum for Diablo 3 is a Pentium D I believe. I'm still rocking an archaic D in my PC, and I'm fairly certain that it's still better than the 360 and PS3's processors, so if the Wii U's CPU is even slower than the 360 and PS3, it seems to me like it would prevent Diablo 3 from working on the Wii without some serious optimizations. Just my opinion though, I'm no game designer.

surt@uga

Honorable
May 25, 2012
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]Humorously enough, Torchlight 2's developers also worked on D1 and D2. Max and Erich Schaefer founded Runic Games.[/citation]

And all 3, Brevik & the Schaefers were basically management on D2. They really made D1. D2 was a product of the people further down the credits.

btdude6

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Formata[/nom]For any fans of Diablo 2... that were sorely disappointed by Diablo 3. I recommend taking a look at Torchlight 2. Loving that game[/citation]
Same here, bought I and II on Steam and would pay again, they`re great!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I had Diablo for the PS1 and I must say it played quite great. I preferred the PC version of course but whenever I played it on the PS1 it was still fun and make a excellent Co-op game. I don't see why it couldn't work for Diablo 3 either.

Diablo 3 isn't exactly the prettiest game and demanding game. Even if it were somehow more intense than let's say Battlefield 3 things can always be scaled down to make it work. The low settings in Battlefield 3 for PC are noticeably superior to the consoles. So that could get it to work.

As the article points out however waiting may be a better business decision as it likely will get more attention and thus sales. Releasing on a soon to be expired console for a game that will continue to have support and additions to it for a few years would be a foolish mistake. And the reason for not releasing on the Wii U early on is because the owners of the other consoles will see the game as dated for it being on the Wii U for sometime before hand. Think of the original Mass Effect for PS3 when it finally ported over the hype is gone and it had no chance of matching sales. It is best to release multi-platform games all at the same time.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Blizzard dumbed down Diablo 3 = Facepalm
Blizzard add RMAH to Diablo 3 = Double Facepalm
Blizzard considers Diablo 3 on console = Triple Facepalm

[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Diablo 3 can run on an Intel HD 3000 so running on a console is no problem. The problem is Blizzard made a pathetic game with Diablo 3, their priorities are not what it used to be and If they're venturing into the console market I will stop giving a crap about Blizzard because I will probably not be buying anymore of their games. Their only chance in my book is if they release Warcraft 4 and make it phenomenal.[/citation]

I didnt even test diablo3 (got a beta key back in the day).
The game is just bad. I am not surprised that they want to get it on consoles. Its well known that console gamers hav smaller demands on the games they purchase, so selling it there is easier, and brings a good amount of income. Due to the fact the game is frankly boring, they wont even have to worry with server loads later on anyway.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]if anything, people interested in D1 and D2 need to look at Marvel Heroes, which has the original developer for D1 and D2 David Breivik basically making it the soul successor game to the series.[/citation]
To hell with all of that. Go play Dark Souls. Yes it's not point & click, but if you were playing the original Diablo when it was released, you should be a hardened gaming veteran by now, so Dark Souls is a brilliant substitute for a dungeon running game. One reason I'm not going near Torchlight is because it's far too cartoony. The original Butcher was terrifying, not cuddly, y'know with the room of mutilated corpses and all.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Diablo 3 can run on an Intel HD 3000 so running on a console is no problem. The problem is Blizzard made a pathetic game with Diablo 3, their priorities are not what it used to be and If they're venturing into the console market I will stop giving a crap about Blizzard because I will probably not be buying anymore of their games. Their only chance in my book is if they release Warcraft 4 and make it phenomenal.[/citation]
Star Craft 1 was released on the N64 among other games and platforms. So this wouldn't be a "venture" per say, but it would be odd given that they would port a game that uses real life cash as a currency option because each console has their own version of currency. (Microsoft Points for example.) And you know MS/Sony/Nintendo would be getting money from a real cash/points AH.

PC = All profits go to Blizzard. Console = The Company that made the console gets a cut, and that is assuming they will let them do it.

G

when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of this story, it is basically fct that anyone who cares about diablo already got burnt on the PC version and i doubt they would shell out 60 bucks to get burnt again.
its a repetitive playstyle with different hardness in play terms. this has been diablos way but in 3 the maps are static the enemies are not. the feature i liked about diablo 2 was the map always changed the next time you played . blizzard has dropped the ball wow has dropped in subs, only to bounce back with x pacs then dropback down, companies who rely on monthly installments need installments not the inital cost of the x pac that merely covers the cost to make the expansion. blizzards solid game right now is starcraft 2 the franchise is not old enough to be on a downslope but with a exp looming to aid in its multiplayer fandango it seems to be a popular hit with the RTS crowds . the upcoming mmo project they have i dont think will be successful. they had that moment with wow and the burning crusade and then slowly slipped away. to me the whole MMO market is crashing and with way to many F2P game models out . It really kills the market for companies like funcom , rift and others who continue the Monthly thing. Free is not always the answer having players allowing games to mature , peak and die off is the answer its up to us to make sure when the game peaks enjoy it and when it goes into a downhill slope stop paying them and let them die , this will keep developers making peak games instead of early dead ends.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]To hell with all of that. Go play Dark Souls. Yes it's not point & click, but if you were playing the original Diablo when it was released, you should be a hardened gaming veteran by now, so Dark Souls is a brilliant substitute for a dungeon running game. One reason I'm not going near Torchlight is because it's far too cartoony. The original Butcher was terrifying, not cuddly, y'know with the room of mutilated corpses and all.[/citation]

This

Status
Not open for further replies.