Blizzard Incorporating In-Game Ads Scheme for "Titan"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]They might be getting themselves in trouble here. I think most people are expecting Titan to be a replacement MMO for World of Warcraft, and I got a gut feeling that isn't what Blizzard is going for here...[/citation]
From day 1 Blizzard said that Titan will NOT be a replacement or a competitor to WoW, but a different genre of MMO. I'm still not quite sure what that means though. We'll have to wait and see.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]From day 1 Blizzard said that Titan will NOT be a replacement or a competitor to WoW, but a different genre of MMO. I'm still not quite sure what that means though. We'll have to wait and see.[/citation]
Right, but how many current WoW players actually know that, is the question. Just afraid people are going to run out and pick it up the first day it is released, and then be like "WHY NO LIKE WOW?" And then I have to hear about how much Titan sucks for the next 6 months on the internet.

Then again I suppose I could avoid the internet for 6 months after Titan release.... but no internet would be hard...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Right, but how many current WoW players actually know that, is the question. Just afraid people are going to run out and pick it up the first day it is released, and then be like "WHY NO LIKE WOW?" And then I have to hear about how much Titan sucks for the next 6 months on the internet.Then again I suppose I could avoid the internet for 6 months after Titan release.... but no internet would be hard...[/citation]

From the D3 feedback, it's already happening, and the thing about WoW is that it's so out of date, the only challenge they can add to the game is to see who can be the most twitchy in response to on screen cues. There is no thought process, discovery or intuition. It's just pre read strategies for the masses and button mashing.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]imagine a large present day city landscape... tell me what would make that more realistic... advertisements... not big eff you advertisements that are in some raceing games where its obvious... but you see real stores with real products, you see a dodge bmw and a ford on the street, and hanging from some of the buildigs are large advertisements. you come under fire, and you duck behind a coke machine. possibly even go out and seek a coke machine because you are thursty and want to drink some...i could see in game advertiseing working that way... it would at least keep me in the game better than fake brands everywhere.[/citation]

And, just as you are about to shoot the bad guy you click on the ad instead, taking you to an external site, minimizing the game and maximizing profits.

[citation][nom]onehitxzibit[/nom]How will adding ads to your game "enhance the gameplay experience"?[/citation]
I would guess realism. Sounds like the game will have realistic city's thus a coke billboard or machine would add to this. In other words I think titans will be game base on now or in the future with little alteration of perception.

These types of ads would be out of place in an mmo like WoW but would work great in a game like fallout. Is blizzard making a first person shooter mmo? Either way I wish it to not be a click on opponent type attacking of WoW. Even Diablo 2 require 2D aiming skills with many spells. I can really only think of 1 or 2 aim based attacks in WoW.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]From the D3 feedback, it's already happening, and the thing about WoW is that it's so out of date, the only challenge they can add to the game is to see who can be the most twitchy in response to on screen cues. There is no thought process, discovery or intuition. It's just pre read strategies for the masses and button mashing.[/citation]
A couple of months ago, I would have flamed you for that comment. But now, well... you're right! WoW had a good run, I think it's time to quit while they're ahead. But Blizzard won't let go until that cow runs dry.

Product "presence" in a game (e.g. the Coke machine or billboard) and product "advertisements" in a game are two different things. Placement adds realism; I would have no trouble with that at all. Running into Radio Shack to buy a GPS unit or batteries makes sense and is much more intuitive than figuring out which pseudo-brands sell what. Advertisements, however, imply to me an interruption in gameplay, which I would find unacceptable. It sounds more like every time you start the game (or maybe even load a level), you have to watch an ad before you can [continue] play; that would be a dealbreaker, possibly unless the game is cheap to buy AND free to play; and good.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The way subscribers are dropping WoW I would think they would be introducing this "Titan" sooner, now that we have to wait another 3-6 months for D3.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
At the very least this hints that titan will be more in the 'real' world that WoW. Maybe something akin to the starcraft universe.

It would be difficult to get product placement into a setting like WoW (although it might be humorous) without breaking the illusion.

Titan = futuristic MMO setting?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]And, just as you are about to shoot the bad guy you click on the ad instead, taking you to an external site, minimizing the game and maximizing profits.[/citation]

If you think they're honestly going to do that you're very stupid. In fact, anyone baffling over this at this point with as much information that we have is stupid. We know nothing about the game, and for all we know, this will make the game environment much more familiar and immersive.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]If you think they're honestly going to do that you're very stupid. In fact, anyone baffling over this at this point with as much information that we have is stupid. We know nothing about the game, and for all we know, this will make the game environment much more familiar and immersive.[/citation]

You already know how shitty the game is going to be. Its being made by WOW people. Enough said. Look at Starcraft 2... its so medicore at best whichs sad because the original Starcraft 1 were EPIC beyond reasonable levels.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Here's my thoughts on how it's gonna be :

215525059_v6MX2-L-2.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/04/25

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]You already know how shitty the game is going to be. Its being made by WOW people. Enough said. Look at Starcraft 2... its so medicore at best whichs sad because the original Starcraft 1 were EPIC beyond reasonable levels.[/citation]

Pure blind assumption.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]just as I am immune to real world advertising, being in my face for my 35 years of existence, I can also ignore in-game ones too.[/citation]
Exactly. Even snipes in TV shows have become invisible to me simply because virtually all of them that I have seen advertise nothing of interest to me.

However, who knows what the level of intrusion might be until the game hits the market. Personally, I would be far less inclined to buy a game that has ads in it rather than "product placement."

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]lets hope blizzard are making "TITAN" compete Frostbite2 and other engines that are graphically awesome..[/citation]
Never going to happen, at least in the standpoint that MMO's will match leading edge games in visual quality. And I say match. With current PC MMO models, they want as many computers to be able to play it and if they want to sell many copies of the game with lots of worldwide users, they need to keep the game playable on many many systems to make their model work. Not to mention the added strain on server data transmits. Why do you think WoW looks like a cartoon?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]And, just as you are about to shoot the bad guy you click on the ad instead, taking you to an external site, minimizing the game and maximizing profits.[/citation]

nah, its more of a subliminal ad, they don't want to annoy you, because people wont buy out of spite than, but they want the product in your mind... having the only cover being a coke machine, or the item you need in a real store, those would defiantly be good enough for ads

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
More social they say? The reason I play games is to escape all that stuff, If you require a facebook account and blast me with in game ads then they can shove Titan where the sun don't shine.
Just give us another WOW type game, Set it in future/space I don't care,Update the graphics engine.
As a thought Blizzard just be done with it and give us a Starcraft MMORPG, It would be as big or bigger than Warcraft.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
So many people think they're not affected by advertising.
Perhaps a very select few are.

If 90% of ads are totally irrelevant, 9% are unwanted and 0.9% aren't value for money for you, you're affected by advertising. So stop pretending you're not.

I'm rarely affected by advertising - why? because I adblock, don't watch or listen to broadcast media, yet I still find I know brand X toilet paper is eco-friendly and brand Y has a new chicken wrap I might like. Perhaps if I were in need of late night food on the road I might be more inclined to buy Y.

I hate push advertising (the usual kind), it's anticompetitive, ugly, wasteful and culture-destroying. Yet I can't beat it by pretending I'm immune.

Ads in games is about as off-putting as goatse.

ichbinhud

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
4Q13??? is that D3 release date. Why do they even bother with release dates? They never come close

I wonder what Titan will be futuristic most say or Sci-Fi, must be there next ripoff Warcraft 49K lmao

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]As much as i hate ads, they do pay for half the free games i download. There's always going to be a way of getting rid of them too.[/citation]

though i have to ask is this game gonna be free ??? seriously think about it if it aint free , you are bassically going to be paying to have ads shoved in your face ... no thanks i'll pass

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Here's what we know about Titan thus far: it will be "casual," and probably a lot more social than anything Blizzard has offered thus far (maybe incorporating Facebook friends like Words With Friends?). It's the "most ambitious" project Blizzard has ever attempted, and even has the potential to eclipse World of Warcraft but will definitely coexist with Blizzard's flagship MMOG. Chief Operating Officer Paul Sams called the game "something that's cool, and new, and different." 90 developers are already assigned to the project."

Not sure about all this
Usuually when game devs toot their own horn , it means epic fail ...

don't believe me ,

Exhibit A - Everquest 2 Epic fail

Exhibit B - Fable 3

Exhibit C - Daktana

Exhibit D - Spore

Status
Not open for further replies.