Blizzard Investigating World of Warcraft for iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichoyt

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
we need to save the World......of Warcraft

I wonder if this is successful, how likely it would be for Blizzard to publish other titles (starcraft 2) to play via cordless mice/keyboard of course...an minimal settings. I don't think i would Jump on right away, but i would definitely be interested - especially as iPad capabilities to connect to TVs (for travel) evolves...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"Everyone I know here has an iPhone or an iPad so we're huge fans of the hardware," he said.
Aha! That explains it.
WoW = crappy game that has lots of followers.
i[product] = crappy hardware that has lots of followers.
It all makes sense now.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm glad I don't play WoW anymore...although I would have just added another note into the guild app section "must play on pc with keyboard/mouse"

G

With the next generation of hardware they probably could run WoW on a portable device. Mind you it is a 6 year old game. The control scheme would suck, but maybe not too terribly as with the touch screen you could directly hit the action bar. It could work.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Tablets as they are currently are a fad, and the iFad is just that as well. Apple is selling millions of these intentionally limited pieces of garbage, because people don't shop the competition. My windows tablet (Acer W500)runs circles around the iPad in every department except battery life, I only get 5 hours of video playback on a charge.

It may not have access to the iTunes crap store, but it does have the ability to run pretty much everything useful or entertaining ever made courtesy of Windows. It can use a keyboard and mouse, it has expandable storage, and HDMI output, it has everything you would expect a real computer to have because its a real computer.

/flame on apple lovers, defend your crippled device

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]With the next generation of hardware they probably could run WoW on a portable device. Mind you it is a 6 year old game. The control scheme would suck, but maybe not too terribly as with the touch screen you could directly hit the action bar. It could work.[/citation]

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "clickers". XD

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Tablets as they are currently are a fad, and the iFad is just that as well. Apple is selling millions of these intentionally limited pieces of garbage, because people don't shop the competition. My windows tablet (Acer W500)runs circles around the iPad in every department except battery life, I only get 5 hours of video playback on a charge.[/citation]

Tablets are the future and are here to stay. Traditional OS like windows and linux are designed with a computer user mindset for work.

Hate apple as much as you want to, but they change the game when they design the iOS for the computer illiterate.

I spend years trying to teach my mother how to read email on a normal computer and failed for two reasons. 1. She can't hold the mouse still and click at the same time, and 2. She can't remember the steps.

With the iPad she can since it's 1 step and she doesn't have to fight with the mouse to click on anything.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]Tablets are the future and are here to stay... With the iPad she can since it's 1 step and she doesn't have to fight with the mouse to click on anything.[/citation]

You are correct Tablets are here to stay, but not in the form of an iPad. One you use a W500 or 110W you will know why I say this, and when the next version of windows is released this will become even more true.

I guess touching the "Outlook" button on a windows tablet is too much work, its much easier for mom to touch the "MobileMe" button.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
To chime my 2 copper

I've done WOW over iphone using VNC, the game has an option of "click to move" where you click the the field and your character moves to that spot (its how botters code). Course was down to a staggering 2fps and the interface was pretty much useless.

WOW on ipad is possible. Look at Order and Chaos. They copied everything from WOW, down to the character models and made an android game... Perhaps blizzard can copy their UI?

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I knew it. The only reason to make the sub-85 game easy enough to beat everything with one or two buttons is if you want people to be able to do it on a mobile device while only using only one or two buttons.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
What I don't understand is what's the lure of playing World of Warcraft or any other PC game in your iPad if you have to sit down, place it on a desk, and use a keyboard and mouse? Does that not defeat what the iPad is supposed to do? Why not simply use a laptop or desktop?

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
neverdyne +100

I am still in awe with the amount of people that sit in the same room as a PC/Laptop/'Mac derivative' playing with their iPads...

G

uhh just to point this out put it was already done on an iphone the app was called everyair look it up on youtube it was a remote desktop app

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Trust me, you need a physical keyboard and mouse to play wow effectively.[/citation]
What do you call someone on an iPad who keypad turns? lol.....

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]My windows tablet (Acer W500) runs circles around the iPad in every department except battery life[/citation] There you go... another fan boy praising another Steve...
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]you will know why I say this, and when the next version of windows is released this will become even more true.[/citation] I've heard this since Windows 3.11 and I'm really glad I no longer have to listen... now I can choose something else. M$ is no longer getting a single euro from me.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I think a good way they can make the controls work is use the tilt feature of the iPad to move, like tilting it toward you makes you walk backward, tilting it forward makes you walk forward, side to side is strafing. Then place all the moves on either side, so you can press them with your thumbs. Easy classes such as DK's and Pallys could use this easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.