Blizzard Investigating World of Warcraft for iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]Tablets are the future and are here to stay. Traditional OS like windows and linux are designed with a computer user mindset for work.Hate apple as much as you want to, but they change the game when they design the iOS for the computer illiterate. I spend years trying to teach my mother how to read email on a normal computer and failed for two reasons. 1. She can't hold the mouse still and click at the same time, and 2. She can't remember the steps.With the iPad she can since it's 1 step and she doesn't have to fight with the mouse to click on anything.[/citation]

The solution is a separation of the new and old users. We keep the internet and you newfags stick to facebook. How about that?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]The fact that they are Apple fans explains why the game has been dumbed down so much...[/citation]

No. The company was bought by Activi$ion... Do you follow the news?

G

Actually games like wow which ties action to keystroke such as 12345 etc can indeed be implemented via a touch interface. Consider the right side of the tablet is an input interface, which is gesture based: for example:
1. left to right diagonal downward
2. left to right diagonal upward
3. right to left diagonal downward
4. right to left diagonal upward
There will be 4 separate actions. If you add even more gesture like circle, half circle, middle left to right, middle right to left etc there will be even more gesture types. Or even invoke multi touch like combining two figures, hold on left, and diagonal left to right downward etc.
To make even more gestures, partition the tablet area to upper-right, middle-right, lower-right and accept bind those gestures into those areas to different commands.

Then there is the movement problem. Once again, multi touch gesture should be used and the left side of the tablet can be reserved for that. Implement some gesture to move forward, backward, turn left, turn right, strifle etc.

The middle part of the tablet can be used to implement simple, most commonly used command, such as single tap to execute a single command.

This will mean though, you have to put down the tablet on a surface in order to really execute movement and other command at the same time. Make the touch interface input area customizable on any part of the tablet to suit user preference as well.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tabletman[/nom]Actually games like wow which ties action to keystroke such as 12345 etc can indeed be implemented via a touch interface. Consider the right side of the tablet is an input interface, which is gesture based: for example:1. left to right diagonal downward2. left to right diagonal upward3. right to left diagonal downward4. right to left diagonal upwardThere will be 4 separate actions. If you add even more gesture like circle, half circle, middle left to right, middle right to left etc there will be even more gesture types. Or even invoke multi touch like combining two figures, hold on left, and diagonal left to right downward etc.To make even more gestures, partition the tablet area to upper-right, middle-right, lower-right and accept bind those gestures into those areas to different commands.Then there is the movement problem. Once again, multi touch gesture should be used and the left side of the tablet can be reserved for that. Implement some gesture to move forward, backward, turn left, turn right, strifle etc.The middle part of the tablet can be used to implement simple, most commonly used command, such as single tap to execute a single command.This will mean though, you have to put down the tablet on a surface in order to really execute movement and other command at the same time. Make the touch interface input area customizable on any part of the tablet to suit user preference as well.[/citation]
There is no way in hell you could raid or PvP seriously on that.

Questing as a Hunter, while you rock and tilt it back and forth - maybe. To actually involve multiple movements, along with attacks and commands? Forget about it. Also, can you imagine making macros and etc based upon tilts? You'd be shaking your iPad like you're trying to abuse your newborn baby.

G

A device that cannot even display flash properly and an operating system that is notoriously awful for video games of any type. The graphics adapter on the ipads are garbage even for tablets, infact the iphone 4 has a better one but is also garbage. If you want graphics, gaming and the freedom to use your device as you see fit buy a pc, if you want bullshit, itunes, DRM and to be locked out of your own hardware buy an ipad. Pull your heads out of your ass blizzard doing business with apple will cause your employees to commit suicide. Ipads were made for ignorant people and only ignorant people will continue to use them.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Trust me, you need a physical keyboard and mouse to play wow effectively.[/citation]

Eh, most people I see playing WoW repeatedly slam '1' over and over...sometimes they'll through a '2' or a '5' or somethin in there. At least this is what I watched as someone played an 'epic raid'.

G

this is what you guys sound like...

"ipad sucks!"
"wow sucks!"
"whaaaaa!!! i'm a baby!!! pc only!!! i lick microsoft's taint!!!"

i just have one question for you all...

lol u mad, breh?

G

they need to make it cell shaded, low res, and limit the play to farming, auction house, running around, guild and trade chat. players will know they are on a ipad, and its a quick wow fix, until they get home.

G

@dalethepcman in response to your flame, my only defence is really its about what you want a tablet for. I'm happy playing a few simple games, reading digital editions of my previously most purchased physical print newspaper, using flipboard & zite, casually surfing the web in front of my TV ( almost constantly to the annoyance to others around me! ), watching the odd film on Netflix, and much more.

In reference to the things other Tablets can do that an iPad can't I would put it to you that most people couldn't care less. The iPad fisher-prices the experience, which much as you don't like it is what the vast majority of people want.

Incidentally, I also don't buy into the "post-PC" marketing strategy btw... For me, the iPad complements a whole host of other technologies each of which is best in specific circumstances.

Finally, I'm sorry if I have not let you down by being an ardent Apple Fanboy.... Truth be told : Most Apple / iOS users aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.