Blizzard Patches 'Diablo II' 16 Years After Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at the retro gaming comments. My retro gamer is a Coppermine Pentium III 750 (used to be overclocked to a stunning 800MHz) with 128MB RAM and a GeForce2 Pro running Windows 98SE. It hasn't seen the internet since 2005 or so.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Only 50 lbs? You're forgetting about our massive 21" CRT monitors. ;)
I had a 22" Mitsubishi Monitor. It was the most amazing monitor on the market and cost me $2200. Weighed a metric Tonne but made all the people with 21" monitors incredibly jelly.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Only 50 lbs? You're forgetting about our massive 21" CRT monitors. ;)
I had one of those 21", but made sure my modem and mic/Roger Wilco were always working so I didn't have to move it. Almost had to cut out some structural members from the house so I could give it away.

Lutfij

Titan
I too have great memories with the game. I think I finished it with each character plus the expansion's characters and maxed out their skills tree. The druid and Barbarian were my favorite two classes!

I had one of those 21", but made sure my modem and mic/Roger Wilco were always working so I didn't have to move it. Almost had to cut out some structural members from the house so I could give it away.

Ahh the days of trying the find the distance on your tabletop microphone so people couldn't hear your breathing. And then knocking it over on accident. Way before integrated mic/headphones.

Those were the days. [/grabs walker and scoots out]

A simple adapter let me use my old wired cell phone headset with my computer. People were always amazed how clear my voice was when playing Tribes 2.

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

yes.
It doesn't require a painful amount of clicking on a console lol
I have played both console and PC

One of the reasons I like the console version. The auto-targetting works pretty well that I don't have to hunt and click on everything for fear of missing an attack by the mouse cursor being one pixel off the monster.

The reason for this patch was "newer operating systems." Diablo 2 worked fine on Win7 with compatibility modes. Win10 recently came out so Blizzard figured now was a time to get one big patch done rather than two smaller patches spread out over a few years. Works for me.

pls let that be sarcasm
millenials bwahahahahahaaaaa.
now we are beyond officially old "i used to game hauling my 50# rig to my friends house in knee high snow, across town against the wind in -20ºF temps and then game friday night to monday morning and then go to work with out sleeping and just mt. dew for energy drink!"
you must be old, that isn't how you use a hash tag lol (just kidding of course. I am probably older than you, that thing will always mean pound first!)

Tricksy Hobbitses.... I loved tribes 2. TFC still has a very special place in my heart....

Svenbo

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I used a hack. It auto-muted the thousands of spam-bots. The hack doesn't work anymore, but all the F'n spam-bots are just fine.

Good job Blizzard, good job.

Steven_52

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
People outside of Korea still play Diablo II?

That's quite a longevity there.

Yes, I play still. Diablo II is actually one of the younger games I still play regularly. I prefer playing an solo enchantress archer. I do prefer the atmosphere of D1, so dark and tense against straight up demons from hell. D2 traded a dark and dank (epically long) single dungeon crawl for a cross country campaign. I see the merits of both and side, narrowly, with D2 for having more gizmos and character flexibility.

I play a straight up text MUD that's been around since 1996. I regularly play true DOS games via DOSBOX such as Master of Magic, Master of Orion, X-Com and Terror From the Deep. Lightspeed is 26 years old now. I do like the X-Com remakes, and I PRAY that the ending stinger from XCom2 means that they're making a TFTD remake. Oh god, I so want that, I loved TFTD more than X-Com. The Lovecraftian references ring with me more than the UFO references of X-Com.

M.A.X. is an old turn-based strategy game from Interplay. Also Fallout 1 and 2, haven't played any "new" Fallouts ever. Probably get FO4 at some point. And the Baldur's Gate trilogy, though I'm now playing that in the "enhanced" editions.

Crossing over into the new millenium, Hostile Waters (2001) is my go-to when I want some third-person shooting. I love Warlords Battlecry 1 and 2 for combining a customizable hero system into a RTS.

Old games may lack in shiny graphics, but they more than made up for it with storyline and plot, true flexibility, and unique gaming elements.

Many of these games have been considered 'Games of the Year'. Some of them have been considered best games EVER.

True quality transcends time.

Status
Not open for further replies.