Blizzard Releases StarCraft II Demo (Yes, a demo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Bringing demos back would be one of the most ethical and effective way to combat software piracy. Nobody could claim that they just pirate games to decide if they want to buy them, and software corporations could ethically pursue criminal charges against all pirates. Win-win.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I wonder, how good or bad are the S2 sales, given how user/LAN party unfriendly it has become, compared to the S1 (where you not only were able to play off-line, but also could _officially_ play on LAN with up to 3 of your friends with only 1 copy of the game bought).

2firebee1991
Xbox360 about 40 million consoles, 100 million games sold annually, HACKED FOR YEARS
PS3 about 40 million consoles, 100 million games sold annually, hacked only a couple of month ago

What "piracy" is someone fighting please?

G

I must admit something. I downloaded this game from a torrent site. However I was so happy with it that a few weeks later I went into a shop and bought it so that I can fully enjoy it and because I felt it was worth it.

I dont think I would have bought it if I werent able to download it for free first.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i was thinking of pirateing this, just to see what would happen to my computer at the highest settings, because this is a demanding game (yea graphically no, but real world, yea, and not demanding because of crap unoptimized code like crysis either).

now i dont have to. thanks blizzard.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom].2firebee1991Xbox360 about 40 million consoles, 100 million games sold annually, HACKED FOR YEARSPS3 about 40 million consoles, 100 million games sold annually, hacked only a couple of month agoWhat "piracy" is someone fighting please?[/citation]
And which console is Starcraft 2 available for? Oh, yea, neither has the power to run it...

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]firebee1991[/nom]Bringing demos back would be one of the most ethical and effective way to combat software piracy. Nobody could claim that they just pirate games to decide if they want to buy them...[/citation]
Yes, because there's nothing that motivates a thief to do the right thing like the loss of credibility. Most will simply switch to a new argument, like saving the rain forest by avoiding software packaging. But, I am glad to see a demo of this game.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mrface[/nom]Please avoid discussing piracy or advocating piracy on these forums and news articles. It is against the ToU and RoC.[/citation]
I hope you understand what a lost cause that argument is......

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Laugh at me all you want, but I might actually give this a try! ;)

My piracy day are over (well, at least for video games) and I wasn't sure to like SC2 enough to buy it. Maybe the demo will convince me!

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I loved SC1 and I'll try the demo for SC2 but will not give in and end up paying $200 for a game. $60.00 plus tax X 3. Not going to happen, one year I will pick up the SC2 Battle chest or something.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]And which console is Starcraft 2 available for? Oh, yea, neither has the power to run it...[/citation]

True, best part is that its a "true" PC game that can take advantage of whatever you have in your rig and not a so called "pc game" with "Game & Watch" like gfx with poor controls made port!

The possibility in SC2 to scale performance/gfx from super-low-budget PC (almost as bad as a console(sorry console guys - the truth hurts)) to a super-high end game machine is simply put - staggering! WTB real DX11 support in it thoo =)

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
"I wonder, how good or bad are the S2 sales, given how user/LAN party unfriendly it has become, compared to the S1 (where you not only were able to play off-line, but also could _officially_ play on LAN with up to 3 of your friends with only 1 copy of the game bought)."

Uh, that's pretty much the point of having no lan setup, isn't it? So you can't share your game with 3 other people who then have no reason to buy the game for any reason since they have a full working copy.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]I loved SC1 and I'll try the demo for SC2 but will not give in and end up paying $200 for a game. $60.00 plus tax X 3. Not going to happen, one year I will pick up the SC2 Battle chest or something.[/citation]
I really don't think its gonna be anywhere close to $200 for the full set. The other 2 parts are EXPANSIONS, and it has been said already that as such, they will be PRICED as expansions, so they shouldn't be $60 each, but much more reasonable. Just play it and enjoy- its a great game, and well worth the $60.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
That whole "I won't pay 60$ for a third of a game" is becoming silly. The game is NOT split in 3 parts. The STORY is split in 3 parts. Wings of Liberty is a whole game and has the content one would expect of a 60$ game. The other games will most likely have the same amount of content, but since they won't offer much new stuff (units, abilities, etc.), the game will be possibly priced lower. I'm guessing ~40$.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]flyinfinni[/nom]I really don't think its gonna be anywhere close to $200 for the full set. The other 2 parts are EXPANSIONS, and it has been said already that as such, they will be PRICED as expansions, so they shouldn't be $60 each, but much more reasonable. Just play it and enjoy- its a great game, and well worth the $60.[/citation]

No, it definitely isn't going to be $300. People like the person you replied to are simply obnoxious and ignorant. Basically their piss poor logic is that you basically shouldn't buy games since they might have expansions that cost money. Their tinfoil hat theory is that a business is trying to offer additional product to make money? Gosh, what a conspiracy. Now, there is a fine line, such as DLC which is viable to argue over.

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]No, it definitely isn't going to be $300. People like the person you replied to are simply obnoxious and ignorant. Basically their piss poor logic is that you basically shouldn't buy games since they might have expansions that cost money. Their tinfoil hat theory is that a business is trying to offer additional product to make money? Gosh, what a conspiracy. Now, there is a fine line, such as DLC which is viable to argue over.[/citation]

What a troll...where did the $300 come from? He said $200. Nothing like misquoting a person to get your point across.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]You're guessing $40 for an expansion?? That's insane, but with demand high Blizzard can put a high price tag on it and the people will pay.[/citation]
Well, that depends on the amount of content they're gonna put in. My opinion on pricing, assuming a high quality title, is : full game 60$, expansion 40$, DLC 20$.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

You know whats funny? I would of never got on the sc1 bandwagon if it wasn't for the lan with 3 peeps on 1 license.
Me being able to play it with my friends showed me the games true potential of lan play and since you can't always get together to play at one location each person gets the game so they can play with each other at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.