Blizzard Reveals WoW: Cataclysm System Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
If you have only the minimum system specs, you better have your viewing distance (and most other video effects) turned way down. Otherwise, you would be standing in Dalaran and think your system locked up (you'd be getting about 1 FPS).

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yikes, why does Mac take twice the memory? And why does a "mobile" mac need so much more graphics processing power than a "desktop" mac? Doesn't really affect me, but those reqs seem odd.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]They forgot the razor blade to slit your wrists because you no longer have a life.[/citation]

Also the unemployment benefits application paperwork because you got fired for skipping work.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I ran all settings on mininum, 640x480 with a Nvidia 7500LE (OEM bargain bin card) and a Pentium D 820 2.8GHz with 1GB of DDR2 533. In GPU intensive area, it was unplayable. I love when the minimum settings list something that makes the game unplayable, because, honestly, is 5-10FPS worth it?
My i7 and 5770 both OC'd lol at those recommendations however. TOo bad I quit 3 years ago. :)

Edit: I'm curious, what kind of GPU will these have? I have a Cowon S9 with a dual core 500MHz ARM, but since it has no GPU, effects are all quite slow.

[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]Also the unemployment benefits application paperwork because you got fired for skipping work.[/citation]

What about the rest of us who got downsized or the company went belly up?
I HATE not having a job and the dead end jobs are hard to find and getting worse.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Maybe if Blizzard were to release more CPU & GPU demanding games, it would force most users to upgrade their PCs so they're able to play other demanding games. We'd end up with less MMORPG players and maybe more FPS gamers.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I know it can be fun to ridicule things people end up doing while waiting for death, but unless you're working on a cure for cancer or figuring out how to replace fossil fuels, most don't have a leg to stand on. Fantasy football, hiking, blowing money at the club/bar, and watching TV are all equally as pointless as WoW.

G

This is kind of funny... notice how on Windows (or WINE, I bet!) you can play with a 1.3ghz processor, half the memory, and less graphics power - whereas Mac users will need a minimum of 2 cores.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Yikes, why does Mac take twice the memory? And why does a "mobile" mac need so much more graphics processing power than a "desktop" mac? Doesn't really affect me, but those reqs seem odd.[/citation]
The mobile spec doesn't require more power,its just that a 9600m is so gimped by the power/heat requirements its about as fast as a 7600 desktop part.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
"Hitting the MMORPG on December 7, the expansion will introduce gamers to two new races, revamped zones, new game mechanics and more."

...of the same. This is still WoW. It's long past its prime.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
WOW kinda a bit of an upgrade for many mac users. Its good to know that my 5 yr old PC can still handle the game, but my 4 yr old mac won't be able to handle it.

Its a shame to because the Mac WOW version has lots of great in game video recording features for Machinima makers.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If you plan on downloading the patch, you're gonna need much more than 25gb of free hard drive space. The game couldn't upgrade to the new patch on my 40gb ssd, I had to move it to my 128gb ssd. After the install it trims down to 26gb.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The only thing wrong with WOW is the players who don't know when to turn it off. I have been playing for 4+ years and only once in that time have I found myself not taking care of things outside the game.

On the other hand, if you want to be in the top 100 toons on your realm you have no choice but to be hand cuffed to it. I raided for 18 Months and I got bored of doing the same thing week after week.

All in all the game is still worth the 15 bucks they soak us for every month.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Kevin. You let the end of the video specs start the audio specs.
Video

* 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8600 or ATI Radeon 2600 or better.

Sound

* DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
There, FTFY.

G

Interesting that they still require DirectX-compatible audio for Windows. You'd think they'd add OpenAL support for all the Vista/7 users who lack a proper DirectSound3D implementation.

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Yikes, why does Mac take twice the memory? And why does a "mobile" mac need so much more graphics processing power than a "desktop" mac? Doesn't really affect me, but those reqs seem odd.[/citation]

Probably because of OSX and OpenGL. Open GL hasn't been as massivley used for games as DX nor has OSX compared to Windows.

So the ones that have had games the longest have had optimizations and time to find tweaks that the others haven't.

G

Is this game working offline?
I'd love if they create a game like Sony's Phantasy Star Universe, where you have an offline story mode, and can go online, for online playing with a subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.