Blizzard Sold $2M Of Virtual Livestock in 4 Hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwiing

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
All complaints aside...its genius on Blizzard's side. They spent..what..a few thousand $s coming up with it and rake in millions? Go Blizz..

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]iggii[/nom]I geared my new 80 with a gear score of 4900 in two weeks of hitting 80 with just random runs.[/citation]

I love it when people associate how awesome they are by using a slightly less useless arbitrary number as opposed to a completely useless abitrary number. Let me guess, your a rogue in level 264 caster pvp gear. noob.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Maybe if you spent your time farming for a job instead of gold, you could make a dent in your area's unemployment. Just a thought.[/citation]
A-mazing. You sir, just made my day.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
yes. battlefield heroes already got $5 from me for an in-game uber sniper rifle. since the game was free to begin with, I think of the $5 as a donation of support, rather than a waste of money. I would love to see more 'free' games like it.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I'll qualify this whole rant by first stating... I've never played WOW. With that out of the way, I find it amazing that people pay so much of their hard earned REAL WORLD money on digital "goods" in a FANTASY WORLD. Blows me away.

Personally I avoid games that require me to pay a monthly fee for the "privalege" of playing the game after I've already dropped $50-$70 on the game itself. There are enough games out there with free servers to play on. The business model is slowly moving toward pay-to-play, but I'm avoiding it for as long as I can.

Seems weird to me to spend $50 on a game and then $10-15 every month afterwards. After a year, I'll have spent $230 on 1 game (this is just for the game and subscription fees, no digital goods purchased). For the same money, I could have bought 3 or 4 other games to keep me entertained in that year.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Maybe if you spent your time farming for a job instead of gold, you could make a dent in your area's unemployment. Just a thought.[/citation]

^ This. Everything in moderation... including WoW.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I'll qualify this whole rant by first stating... I've never played WOW. With that out of the way, I find it amazing that people pay so much of their hard earned REAL WORLD money on digital "goods" in a FANTASY WORLD. Blows me away.Personally I avoid games that require me to pay a monthly fee for the "privalege" of playing the game after I've already dropped $50-$70 on the game itself. There are enough games out there with free servers to play on. The business model is slowly moving toward pay-to-play, but I'm avoiding it for as long as I can.Seems weird to me to spend $50 on a game and then $10-15 every month afterwards. After a year, I'll have spent $230 on 1 game (this is just for the game and subscription fees, no digital goods purchased). For the same money, I could have bought 3 or 4 other games to keep me entertained in that year.[/citation]

I think of it like this. I could buy a couple of games ($100+) each month with only 7-10 hours of content or play WoW for $15 a month and play get endless (practically) content. I usually only play WoW and an FPS here and there.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
As long as they don't start selling gear or any sort of item that changes or helps game play i don't have any issues with it. if you want to spend another 25 bucks on some fancy mount go for it.

[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Seems weird to me to spend $50 on a game and then $10-15 every month afterwards. After a year, I'll have spent $230 on 1 game (this is just for the game and subscription fees, no digital goods purchased). For the same money, I could have bought 3 or 4 other games to keep me entertained in that year.[/citation]
MMOs aren't like normal games they offer unlimited play where you are constantly bettering your character(s), sure you could have spent that money on 4 other games but you lose all the accomplishments, items, and all the effort when you finish it then move on to the next game. Where as in an MMO you spend all that time getting better gear, gaining levels, killing bosses and it all stays with you through the year. I'm not saying MMOs are the best kind of games but as far as feeling I've gained something except for entertainment MMOs are greater in that sense then others.

robcope1965

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The whole point of WoW is that it isn't reality. It is a place or virtual world where people can do and be whatever they want. That is the best part of it, the freedom to cencentrate on whatever it is you enjoy about the game. I play WoW regularly, but not near enough to be one of the heros of the game. It is important to limit game play because people spend to much time playing it, including me.

lucky for me, it was my hot girlfriend that got me started, so I guess I get the best of both worlds and don't have to waste 25 buck on alcoholic beverages, I get to waste it on a useless, but cool mount.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My wife spent well over 3g's on Perfect World, I almost divorced her over it (seriously). People seem to be easily manipulated into this pay content. I think it's just stupid.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
25 for a mount?

Whatever. It gives you no advantage - period.

People buy loot cards all the time, or stuff from them (tabards, disco ball, spectral tiger etc) and it doesn't appear here.

I dislike Activision very much, but its still a brilliant move for them.

If you can afford $15 a month on a game, than 25 once every 3 years shouldn't break the bank. And if it does - you shouldn't be playing to begin with.

robcope1965

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Funny that we are actually having a conversation over a useless 25 dollar mount that does nothing to give you an advantage. People are out blowing three and four times that amount on alcohol and get nothing for it, hmmm.

To each his own I guess. My sons and I play together and keep a strict playing schedule and as a result, no matter what is going on the three of us have grown closer and always have something to discuss. Sounds silly I guess, but it depends on how much you play the game and people need to remember it is just a game and not reality.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"micro-transactions are here to stay" very true, but the difference between Blizzard doing it in WoW versus say Riot in LoL is a night and day difference your all ready paying monthly for WoW where as LoL is free to play. Blizzard is as greedy as the RIAA and MIAA if not more so just one more reason to detest them.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'll always hate paid DLC, even if it's something semi-useful like a quest because they're almost always grossly overpriced to the point that anyone who buys it is a chump. I'll probably never buy any of it, although some of the Bioware stuff is somewhat tempting. Even if I had money to burn, I'd probably pass on principle.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]I think of it like this. I could buy a couple of games ($100+) each month with only 7-10 hours of content or play WoW for $15 a month and play get endless (practically) content. I usually only play WoW and an FPS here and there.[/citation]
Nice, except most of the "endless content" is repetitive. You, uhm, grind most of the time, money or chemistry or reputation or honor or arena points. I don't recall any non MMO game, that required you to do "your homework".

It's not fair to compare that kind of "gaming" time, with usual games.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Either way you look at it, you are spending time to work and pay for it, or time to grind and earn it. time is money either way. I don't see harm in blizzard wanting to earn profit up front by selling it. traditionally, the model was "make it hard for the user to get, so he spends a lot of play time trying to get it". hence, earning money off subscriptions and keeping you playing. i do find it a little dick that they will not make this mount "earn-able", as i'm 99% positive they would still have made that 2mil from people who'd rather buy shit to have it right away. if you haven't figured it out by now, blizzard will milk wow for all its worth. wouldn't you?

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
The thing is none of the stuff wow is selling makes you any better or gives you competitive advantage like lets say ddo does. I bought the pet of little xt because I thought he was funny. I won't buy the mount because honestly I don't think he looks cool. Now have a cool looking dragon then we will speak. All it does and wows right adds variety to they game. It gives no advantage in beating another person in combat whats so ever. They start sellin armor then I will have problems.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]I think of it like this. I could buy a couple of games ($100+) each month with only 7-10 hours of content or play WoW for $15 a month and play get endless (practically) content. I usually only play WoW and an FPS here and there.[/citation]

Oh my friend. apparently you have never played the battlefield series. i paid $50 up front and played multi-player for over a year. same with the c.o.d.: w@w and mw 1 (mw2 can suk it)

wally0101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I can't fault Blizzard for making money, they are a business and as such should use every means at thier disposal to increase thier profit margin. But they seem to have lost track of thier customers. People love to say that WoW has gotten better over the years, but I disagree. Vanilla is what brought in those 11 million players, now it seems that Blizzard expends the minimum effort yet tries to charge the maximum rate for the game. And it isn't just WoW, look at SC2. Each faction is being released as a seperate xpac. Each will most likely be $29+, so $90 for one game? That is just raping the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.