Blizzard Wants Copyright Laws Changed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
MDY's purpose is to prevent WoW farming. You know, the chinese guys that work as levelers and money gatherers and then sell the characters to the rich US guys. Now the rich US guys can pay bots to do the job. And bots will probably be less organized in the criminal way :) - protecting high profitable/levelable areas by force.
Don't take anything I said seriously.

G

Yet another reason why statutory damages for copyright infringement was a bad idea

skythra

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
blizzard hate people with a life.

if they remove the people who have it, then they will own all the souls of the people who no longer need them.

Who's to say society is not morally corrupt :)

G

Ummm, they're using the argument I was always going to use to get out of copy right laws to win?...

That's not going to work.

Not only does everything get copied to memory, but swap files also.
Web pages that have copyrights get put in temp files, etc.

Everyone that owns a computer has broken copy write laws.

I get they don't like cheaters in the game, but cheating has nothing to do with copywrites. You have to copy the game to play the game. They made the game that way. The game uses memory, works with the operating system, they know that, they made it.

I mean the copywrite that you agree to, is already copied to your memory before you even agree...

This is bull sh*t.

Screw blizzard and to hell with WoW.

I'm making sure blizzard never sees another dollar from me again.
I guess all the money they have made just isn't enough.
This isn't about cheating, it's about money as always.

The poor gaming, software, movie studios, record companies, and stars...
I mean their soooo poor, how ever will they be able to buy their 50th car...

Greed.

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
mick said it best "oh no you can't always get what you want". At least I hope not! I hate cheaters too but vac punk busters and programs like it work well enough. dido nutty to hell with them!

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Zorg[/nom]Hey guys, I don’t mean to bytch, but does anyone even read these things before they are posted. Come on, it's only six really short paragraphs. Take the three minutes and proof read the damn thing. There are two errors, one simple grammar and one really bad. We can all figure it out, but you embarrass yourself. Don’t you guys have any self esteem?1. “Blizzard doesn’t want to treat Wow players are game-owners.” It’s as game owners not are game owners. It’s grammar we’ll let you slide. A quick read would have exposed this.2. “However, contract violations don’t come with built in statutory damages, and would win less money from Blizzard.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you mean for Blizzard since they are the ones that are doing the suing? Of course you do. This is a pretty substantial change that would have also been exposed with a three minute read.I wouldn’t say anything, except it appears that this sloppy work has become rampant. I assume you guys are college graduates so please act like it.[/citation]

grow up conTROL freak!

iamacyborg

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Wow the RIAA needs to take a leaf out of Blizzard's book. By extension, CD owners are violating copyright laws since 'playing' the music creates an analog copy of the digital music inscribed on the airwaves. (God forbid you are using a Sony with 60-second anti-skip protection!) Oh yes - and by 'remembering' the song you are creating a copy in your memory neurons.

Which means, by a simple legal hop-skip, that your mom is liable for the copyright infringement by gestating you and that terrible copyright violating machine of yours.

As an unintended fallout from Blizzard's court victory - from now on you can "enjoy" music by physically examining the grooves on the CD with a microscope after downing a couple of state-issued "roofies".

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Writing a program as glider is not illegal... and does not infringe on any laws in my opinion.

If Johny buys WOW-glider and uses it to break laws is another story, Johny is to blame.

This is no different then charging gun manufactures with murder1 for murders there weapons were involved in. Creating the gun is not against a law… killing someone with it is. Creating a bot program is not against the law, running it in WOW is.

On another note “the_man” said earlier that WOW can detect a key being pushed… This is true however it must be known that Glider is a “key-pusher” bot… It has complete control of your keyboard and send commands to the keyboard as a person would… there is simply no way Warden”wow detection system” could tell the difference between a person hitting buttons or the bot hitting buttons.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
[citation][nom]crash27[/nom]grow up conTROL freak![/citation]You are the reason that it has become acceptable. You probably oppose kickball in grade school as well. Clown.

G

What next? Suing me if I buy a book and write in the margins?

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I agree with Zorg on this one. It's like Tom's Hardware got seriously budget-cut, so the editors were the first thing to go. Every article I read here now is rampant with basic, elementary grammar and spelling mistakes, and even incorrect word usage.

In terms of Blizzard, they are trying to cut back on people who use Glider to quickly level up and then sell the character. These people are doing none of the effort required in leveling up the character, and thus they have no sentimental attachment (or relationships) associated with the character. They are making money off of Blizzard's intellectual property using methods forbidden in the EULA. It's also probably how "those Chinese leveling farmers" accomplish the same task. Also, I believe people are selling in-game items for real-world cash; items that require high levels and epic quantities of play time to obtain, even from simple tasks. This is similar to character-selling, but not quite as bad. But seriously, anyone who needs to "buy" a maxed-out character doesn't even qualify to be called an ub3rn00b. They play for a few months and leave because there's nothing to do, thus Blizzard makes very little from a player who cheated himself out of the "opportunity" to catch the addiction.

And Stuart72, you can get fined for defacing a book from a library or any other property that is licensed (like software), loaned, leased, etc. Hence, you get arrested for altering your driver's license, even though it's "yours".
Nobody sells software, they license it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]What next? Suing me if I buy a book and write in the margins? [/citation]That's a very stupid analogy. So you think that there should be no standards? Maybe you will be happier when all articles are written in textonyms. Your attitude is why the world is going down the tubes.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
@ waffle911 - you said it man (or woman)! And being there was some talkback here about grammar errors in the article, well, you could apply for a job :)

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Here's an idea for blizzard, support the cheating and make money with the guy who writes the Bot program, but detect the cheaters (they may want to hire some good programmers like myself) and move all cheaters to a server (or serveral servers) just for cheaters to keep the game economics from going crazy for the legit players.

I've seen how Bots and certain cheats throw the game economy all out of whack. I wouldn't mind if there were servers for cheaters and servers for legit players.

Companies put cheats in single player games (supposedly for development purposes) and leave them in there in the final game. Whats the different if I cheat in single or multiplayer. just force cheaters to player with other cheaters so it's a level playing ground.

side note:
Personally i've written my own Cheats/bots for online games but i did it for the programming and did not release it to ANYONE else. I find it fun to manipulate a program while it's executing. (I need to get out more)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
OMG thats a unique idea ntrceptr...

Instead of banning gold/account farmers have a dedicated server and move all the accounts there. Bliz keeps the monthly fee coming in, farming is abolished everywhere.
I would think those people would abandon the accounts though...The economy on such a server would be atrocious.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
ohhh just thought of a flaw...
I would make my Bot PERFECT on the the "sheater" server and then create an account on a production server.

bad idea.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
ntrceptr's idea is great! For both cheaters and future non-cheaters. In a world full of perfect or close to perfect characters, no fun, but it will act as a preview world for those who would otherwise be just frustrated before being addicted to the game. And maybe a preview of what path of development to chose for the character in the "normal" world. And everybody would be happy! :)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
imagine how polished my bot would be if i could legally "test" it on a server...
When i expose that bot the the "NONcheater" server i will be unstoppable..It would destroy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS