Blizzard: We're a Games Developer, Not PC Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Or maybe the PC is becoming a popular platform for developers again. Thanks to succesfull antipiracy measures for the first time ever.

No crack was ever made for HAWX 2. And there is more than the one noncracked title out there. I just can't recall the names.

And multiplayer seems to be effectively cut down to paying customers as well :).

G

Piracy is an issue, but I don't think it is the major one, it is still about the quality of the game. All those best selling games are cracked, and I don't think HAWX 2 is that successful.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The current high-end consoles (XBOX360 / PS3) have been on the market for too long. Although their price has been amended several time, their "performances vs money" ratio is no longer interesting compared to what reasonably priced PC's can now achieve. Once a totally new console design comes out, it will take lots of PC gamers away from their computer for some time, until they get bored and find out that recent PC hardware can again do much better. It's cyclic...

G

Rizlla since when has Blizzard been at the cutting edge of graphics? Their focus is usually game play which is for me what makes them a special company.

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
But I do like the fact that their games are actually built for the mighty PC too, infact most of their games have been for PC only.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"It’s unfortunate that the illusion that the PC is dying has been propagating for so long and that people have bought into it,"

Much thanks to persons like Toms Hardware's Wolfgang for instance, claiming that PC is crashing while its infact growing in sales as late of yesterday. Amazing what a few journalists can do. Maby its time that Tom's Hardware sack's that kind of so called "journalism" and focus on quality not speculations made without proper information much like "fanbois" do.. that don't belong in a professional site.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mjello[/nom]Or maybe the PC is becoming a popular platform for developers again. Thanks to succesfull antipiracy measures for the first time ever.No crack was ever made for HAWX 2. And there is more than the one noncracked title out there. I just can't recall the names.And multiplayer seems to be effectively cut down to paying customers as well .[/citation]

i remember a while back a crack team said they only work on games and software that interests them, hawks 2 has so little interest in their community that no wants to, its not uncrackable, just no one cares.[citation][nom]Afrospinach[/nom]Rizlla since when has Blizzard been at the cutting edge of graphics? Their focus is usually game play which is for me what makes them a special company.[/citation]

havent they always been more or less cutting edge?
wow for mass appeal, was held back graphically, but look at current star craft 2 and tell me it isn't?

i should define that cutting edge and bleeding edge have 2 different meanings for me, cutting = whats now, bleeding = future

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Devs really need to put the pressure on Nintendo, Sony and XBOX to build Next-Gen consoles and stop porting games over to them. Rather, just make games for PC.

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Afrospinach[/nom]Rizlla since when has Blizzard been at the cutting edge of graphics? Their focus is usually game play which is for me what makes them a special company.[/citation]

As alidan wrote. Starcraft2 has great grapihcs. If you have a system that can run the game @ 1080p full detail have a good look at it. It really does look good. Cataclysm does not look too bad either.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Quality sure as hell beats quantity. I've spent $1,000 on Blizzard games, and a couple thousand hours.
If Diablo 3 is all I hope it'll be, I'll pay $150 or more for a collector's edition without a second thought.
Part of what makes Blizzard games so great is the community around them.
As much as I love my high end rig now, I used to just buy whatever used gaming computer a nerdy store owner recommended to me that was in the $800 range, and they ran Blizzard games just fine for me.

trombocyte

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
"Many of Blizzard's peers have sited piracy as one of the factors behind their platform jump;" - should be "cited". dropped through the cracks of grammar and spellcheck haha

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]"BLIZZARD" they're all cool by me! They have to make go as wide as possible to get into every single games market that they can.[/citation]

I dont know why this is thumbs down so much... Consoles are the money makers and I rather have a company like blizzard make money then companys that just kick out the same tired Madden / COD crap every year

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Rizlla[/nom]As alidan wrote. Starcraft2 has great grapihcs. If you have a system that can run the game @ 1080p full detail have a good look at it. It really does look good. Cataclysm does not look too bad either.[/citation]

Maybe if you've looked at NOTHING else for the past 4 years. I mean, have you SEEN the in-game graphics for final fantasy 13? "blew them out of the water" would be an understatement. A big one. Blizzard has the capabilities to make cutting edge graphics, yes, but they don't want to. Their cinematics are serious quality, but we get 4-5 of those per game, if we're lucky. And their in-game graphics are awful compared to their cinematics.

On top of that, they do half their cutscenes in gameplay graphics. Usually that's not a big deal, but some of the wrath of the lich king cutscenes just made me wanna barf. They hardly even took the time to match mouth movements to dialogue. >.> I was perfectly ready to forgive that, though, given the quality of gameplay we got in WotLK. Which is something that severely dropped off in Cataclysm.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Seriously, if AMD and nVidia wants us to buy their graphics cards, they should push hard developers towards PC, with full optimization and latest graphics features.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
its easier to get revenue on console. one obvious reason for that: console users are not as smart and they buy every shit you throw at them, and its easy to create some shity shit. blizzard on the other hand, only develops quality products, and that my friends makes money everywhere, be it pc console or ultraportable. long live blizzard, you make other devs step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.