Blizzard's Titan MMOG May Not Arrive Until 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Sounds more like Diablo 3 than Doom 4 to be honest. We all know how Diablo 3 turn out after all those years and blizzard even fire the entire blizzard north.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
That is pretty extreme to scrap and start from scratch after years of work. Though I do think they deserve credit to do such a thing rather than releasing it when they are not personally happy with it. MMO's have become so bland and I really hope we see something that truly sticks out and gives us something different.

"Blizzard's Titan MMOG May Not Arrive Until 2016"
"Blizzard's World of Warcraft still has 8 million subscribers"
I can see the connection between the two of them...
But everyone would love to create a rival to a game that even now is giving to them $1 billion per year. Or not? :p

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Just imagine the money they're bringing in (extremely rough estimate). 8,000,000 subs x $15 a month

That's like.... $120000000 a month...... $120000000 x 12 mo/yr =

$1440000000 per year..... DA FUQ!?!? And that's only for ONE of their games!!!!

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Tom's article states that Titan's development team of 100 has been dropped to 70 members. The VentureBeat article the author cites states that "the team of 100 developers...has been reduced by 70 positions," which would mean the team dropped to 30 members. I'm curioous as to which one is correct. If they really dropped from 100 members to 30 and decided to start the whole thing over from square one then a 2016 release date is likely out of the question. In all likelihood WoW has 2 more expansions coming to raise the level cap to 100 and Blizzard is going to milk that game for every cent they can get before they stop making new content. The last 3 expansions came 2 years after each other. Seeing as Mists was released in 2012, we may be looking at 2014/2016 release dates for the proposed two expansions. I doubt Blizzard would release a new MMO the same year as their final WoW expansion so I would not be surprised to see this game pushed until 2018 or later. They took 11 years with Diablo 3. Titan's development was speculated to have started in 2007. Assuming this thing goes the way Diablo 3 went a 2018 release date is right on the money.

Neve12ende12

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
"And with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games. To address this, we’re working to release new content more frequently to keep our players engaged longer and make it easier for lapsed players to come back into the game."
Good, the current benchmark is new content every 14 days. (Guild Wars 2, and they aren't even getting subscriptions)

Neve12ende12

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
"And with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games. To address this, we’re working to release new content more frequently to keep our players engaged longer and make it easier for lapsed players to come back into the game."
Good, the current benchmark is new content every 14 days. (Guild Wars 2, and they aren't even getting subscriptions)

EAandMSsuck

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Seems to be a pattern with Bobby, and no they aren't making it easy for old players to return - until their casual teenager base and cash shop mentality disappears most of us are gone for good.

Blizzard needs to stop with diablo3. It was a bad ideal to use a wall-crawling engine for a game. Balance the skills and spell levels the likes of diablo 2 and stop with this easy but aggravatingly boring approach. Start diablo4 with a cut down version of the WoW engine on a single land mass. Optimize it for a single server with no large cites, no scripting, no flying. Make money by 1 time sale of the game, expansions, and micro transactions. It may eat into part of your WoW subscriptions but also get a few of the WoW subscribers already lost. Lastly for all games on the PC stop the easier for lapsed players to come back into the game ideal. All you will end up with is lapsed players. This approach may work on consoles if you want to port but keep the servers separate. Lapsed players design has pushed me out of MMO's and on none lapsed player skill games like first person shooters.

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Long before people made jokes about the Valve time table, Blizzard was notorious for delaying their games repeatedly. Hell, they've completely scrapped games after sinking years of development into them; see Starcraft Ghost or Warcraft Adventures. They've got a lot to live up to if they want to create a worthy successor to WoW, and this at least is a sign that Blizzard are still holding themselves to the same standards as they did in the pre-Activision era. Frankly, I didn't think that was the case anymore.

Steve Matos

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

You have to remember they have to run their data center along with tons of other expenses. If you check out the reports, the last few years they made between 3.5 and 5.5 billion a year. They put out a lot as well.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Kinda disappointing as I was hoping to see what it was at Blizzcon, but oh well.
That said, I think they should be commended for restarting the project rather than releasing a pile of crap they were unhappy with.
Besides, WoW will ride them easily till 2016. It may have faults and a lot of former players may be completely tired of it. But it is still one of the better MMOs currently out on the market.

If the started titan in 2007, with 100 guys, and now they are going to start over with 30 guys and want to finish it in two years, it will be less finished than mass effect 3 at launch date...
But at least we might get some nice games from smaller studios.

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I like to think of the situation the other way around.

They realized Titan isn't going the way they wanted, they cut most of the guys, make a small, tight, personal group to work on it, make it better, more refined, more polished.

May just be me, but I see this as a good thing, we wouldn't want to see a rushed game, would we? I'll wait as long as it takes for the predecessor of WoW to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.