Blogger Wins Against Apple to Cover Nvidia GPU Failures

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmi86

Distinguished
Of course they pocketed the Nvidia cash and skipped town on repairing defective customer units, It's apple !! This is the same company that instead of owning up to manufacturing a defective product they simply alleged that the consumers were "holding it wrong" haha what a effing joke. F apple and F anybody that supports this shallow backstabbing POS company. Good Riddance Steve, now maybe your garbage company can sink back into it's meager 2% market share where it belongs.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Vxd - dude. Reading comprehension. Author is referring to the fact apple could have pocketed the money. Go back and reread before getting all hot and bothered.[/citation]
Well, to come right out and say "Apple screwed over millions of customers world wide, and when Nvidia offered to pay for repairs Apple pocketed the money ." would be libel and the site could be sued by Apple (hell, who am I kidding, WOULD sue the site). Tom's does not have access to Apple's financial records or documents from the boardroom where the board of directors decided to use the repair money to take a vacation to Thailand to go on a heroin binge and have sex with underage boys at a Thai love house.
Nvidia caught a lot of unnecessary hell over the gpu failure because the gpu and cpu were both on the same cooling heatpipe (poor design) and the gpu didn't clock down but the intel cpus did, preventing damage to the cpu, melting solder on the gpu (hey, ATI/ MS did it on the Xbox 360 too, apparently the people brainstorming on how to save money by combining cooling units never learn) causing the failure.
Its no different than when Firestone tires were blowing up on Ford Explorers. Ford decided to use a cheaper tire that could handle the weight of the vehicle but neglected weight redistribution during turning which overloaded the tire and caused it to blow.
And yet, Nvidia, ATI and Firestone get all the blame for the failed product when in reality it was an engineering oversight by the people at the next level.

You guys remember when Pony sold Nvidia cards at cut rate prices but they had a high fail rate (think BestBuy)?
Pony had insufficient cooling on their cards, and when the gpu failed, they would take the repair cash and replacement gpus from Nvidia, pocket the cash, then instead of destroying the faulty chips shipped the damage cards out as new putting the replacement chips on new boards and selling those too? It happens, and it cost Nvidia a lot of respect because "faulty chips flooded the market" and Nvidia got all the blame, by the time it got out it was Pony screwing Nvidia over they had already taken the PR hit and Nvidia was thought of as damaged goods.
This kind of crap happens all the time.

[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Well, to come right out and say "Apple screwed over millions of customers world wide, and when Nvidia offered to pay for repairs Apple pocketed the money ." would be libel and the site could be sued by Apple (hell, who am I kidding, WOULD sue the site). Tom's does not have access to Apple's financial records or documents from the boardroom where the board of directors decided to use the repair money to take a vacation to Thailand to go on a heroin binge and have sex with underage boys at a Thai love house.Nvidia caught a lot of unnecessary hell over the gpu failure because the gpu and cpu were both on the same cooling heatpipe (poor design) and the gpu didn't clock down but the intel cpus did, preventing damage to the cpu, melting solder on the gpu (hey, ATI/ MS did it on the Xbox 360 too, apparently the people brainstorming on how to save money by combining cooling units never learn) causing the failure.Its no different than when Firestone tires were blowing up on Ford Explorers. Ford decided to use a cheaper tire that could handle the weight of the vehicle but neglected weight redistribution during turning which overloaded the tire and caused it to blow. And yet, Nvidia, ATI and Firestone get all the blame for the failed product when in reality it was an engineering oversight by the people at the next level.You guys remember when Pony sold Nvidia cards at cut rate prices but they had a high fail rate (think BestBuy)?Pony had insufficient cooling on their cards, and when the gpu failed, they would take the repair cash and replacement gpus from Nvidia, pocket the cash, then instead of destroying the faulty chips shipped the damage cards out as new putting the replacement chips on new boards and selling those too? It happens, and it cost Nvidia a lot of respect because "faulty chips flooded the market" and Nvidia got all the blame, by the time it got out it was Pony screwing Nvidia over they had already taken the PR hit and Nvidia was thought of as damaged goods.This kind of crap happens all the time.[/citation]

Did I misread this, or is your point that Apple screwed over not only the customers, but also Nvidia?

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Did I misread this, or is your point that Apple screwed over not only the customers, but also Nvidia?[/citation]
Correct.
My point was many companies wind up with egg on their faces for problems they didn't create due to poor engineering.
My cousin had one of the HPs with the "defective" gpus.
I cracked it, heated around the chip with a micro blowtorch (which melted the solder back into place), then while putting it back together noticed a gap between the gpu and the cooling unit the thickness of a penny, a freaking penny! That's HUGE, no wonder it overheated when they only used a thermal pad to bridge the gap.
I found an old wheat penny (99% coper), lapped it down, then used arctic silver ceramique on both sides of the penny, then reapplied the heat sink.
It still works flawless to this day.
Like I said, bad engineering.
And Nvidia got all the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.