[SOLVED] Blower style 1080ti worth it?

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I want to get a 1080ti to go with my laptop for gaming performance (and 3d rendering perhaps).
But i'm low on funds. I was going to run an m.2 external gpu setup.
I've run pcie x1 external gpu's in the past with great results.
Very little performance loss due to the low pcie lanes. and M.2 has even more.

So anyways, i've seen lots of blower 1080ti's fs online (used), and they are much cheaper than the 2/3x fan designs.

How do the blowers run?
I'm not planning any overclocking, but I pretty much assume that the 3fan designs are the best option for overclocking.

At stock clocks are blower cards a noticeable loss?

Solution
Blowers run warm and loud in most cases and I think Nvidia learned their lesson with them when they switched to the RTX line.

Saying that though there are plenty of relatively cheap kits for water-cooling 1080tis as well as some very cheap DIY modding that you can do with standard CPU air coolers (if you have the clearance which if this is a diy eGPU you should) for cooler and quieter operation."

Saying that though if you can get a good deal on one then go for it, as I said there are plenty of options to modify the founder edition cards.
Blowers run warm and loud in most cases and I think Nvidia learned their lesson with them when they switched to the RTX line.

Saying that though there are plenty of relatively cheap kits for water-cooling 1080tis as well as some very cheap DIY modding that you can do with standard CPU air coolers (if you have the clearance which if this is a diy eGPU you should) for cooler and quieter operation."

Saying that though if you can get a good deal on one then go for it, as I said there are plenty of options to modify the founder edition cards.

Solution

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Some of the chips run slower than others though right?
and yes i'm seeng blower 1080ti's for under 400 dollars.

Hmmm. You mean thermal throttling when not oc right?

I didn't think blower cards were any good for cooling oc at all?

That I don't know, I think people have done it, but if you are going to overclock then a addon cooling modification would probably be warranted. As I said you can find plenty of water cooling blocks such as the NZXT Kraken G12, EK Waterblock, Phanteks Glacier, Corsair Hydro X etc.

Or again there are plenty of people who bought even a 50 dollar range CPU air cooler, modified the mounting hardware for the GPU, added some VRM cooling and managed good temps that way.