[SOLVED] Blown Components, need help

timkomb57

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Wz9G0b.jpg
DWo5Bb.jpg

Need some pointing in the right direction...if this is even able to be fixed.
Got my son an HP Pavilion laptop for his birthday (10 years old). It had been great for a few months BUT the dingbat dropped a bottle of water on the laptop (not too much water). He didn't think to shut it off, until it shut itself off in 30 seconds. I tore it apart and dried everything off. I couldn't see anything visible. I put it back together with my fingers crossed and nothing. A few days later with more time on my hands I dug back into it. searched every little square inch of the mother board and was getting no where. Eventually on the bottom, under some black covering, I discovered the culprit. Looks like all 3 components are blown along with some motherboard damage. I would like to give it a shot to repair this but have no idea how to identify what components to order.

What does anyone here think? Is it possibly repairable? Where do I find out what the components are to order new ones? I cant find info anywhere. I am able to solder them back on once I figure it out.

Solution
Some parts are usually proprietary so only factory can fix it
And also what's known as "in house parts" - those are near impossible to replace without original schematic.

Now - let's dive into the why - why are it so hard to repair ?

See the wide track that lead up to the oint where it's damaged? That is probably wide for a reason, to conduct some measurement of current. Those brown components are normally capacitors and should not be a source of short circuits - unless damaged.

The black component labeled 000 are simply a zero ohm resistor. That may withstand more current than the pcb tracks itselv and not being damaged. However if that was a part of the current path, then I'd suspect the thinner tracks connected would have...
Wz9G0b.jpg
Better view of damage
Most of time failure of one component can cause failure of many other components. Only way to know that is to replace visibly burned components and for that full factory schematic is needed as well as source of parts and specialty tools. Some parts are usually proprietary so only factory can fix it (maybe). As damage like that is not covered by warranty, that can be more expensive than new device. Changing MB is actually only viable option.

Some parts are usually proprietary so only factory can fix it
And also what's known as "in house parts" - those are near impossible to replace without original schematic.

Now - let's dive into the why - why are it so hard to repair ?

See the wide track that lead up to the oint where it's damaged? That is probably wide for a reason, to conduct some measurement of current. Those brown components are normally capacitors and should not be a source of short circuits - unless damaged.

The black component labeled 000 are simply a zero ohm resistor. That may withstand more current than the pcb tracks itselv and not being damaged. However if that was a part of the current path, then I'd suspect the thinner tracks connected would have taken damage as well. That is not the case looking at the picture.
But - in the very middle of the damaget part, it can look like there are a connection point through the PCB. That is why one can assume there are also damaged PCB tracks that is located in a layer inside the PCB, hidden from view. If that is the case, it's impossible to tell - and also impossible to repair.

Now - back to the thick PCB track. I do suspect that belong to a voltage regulator output (boring now, yes but wait, I'll get to it).
Have you ever seen the schematic for a basic switch mode power supply? It's very common to use a mosfet transistor, and that is a component that probably have a driver circuit that can be disturbed by fluids if that soda is somewhat electrical conductive.

Point is - it can cause the mosfet to fully turn on, making a near complete short circuit for the power supply upstream.

This isn't good news, but I try to explain what I think is going on in this case, and what you're up against if you ever attempt to repair.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution