Blu-ray 3D On The PC: The Tom's Hardware Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]ash42[/nom]"Nvidia's 3D solution has been available for over a year now"A year? try a decade this technology has been around since 1999.[/citation]

No, 3D Vision has not been around since 1999.

Nvidia had earlier 3D Drivers that could accomodate AFR setups, but 3D vision--Nvidia's proprietary 120 Hz solution-- was not around.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
As a guy that is about to build a PC very soon, one that I hope to also use for Stereoscopic 3D, what am I'm going to do regarding the GPU? I definitely want hardware based 3D Blu Ray, so that means I either need a GTX 480 or 470 or a GT 240. The problem is, that I don't want to spend $300 on a video card, and the GT 240 is WAY too weak of a card. If I get a ATI card I can't use it for hardware based 3D Blu Ray?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]LarryJones1[/nom]As a guy that is about to build a PC very soon, one that I hope to also use for Stereoscopic 3D, what am I'm going to do regarding the GPU? I definitely want hardware based 3D Blu Ray, so that means I either need a GTX 480 or 470 or a GT 240. The problem is, that I don't want to spend $300 on a video card, and the GT 240 is WAY too weak of a card. If I get a ATI card I can't use it for hardware based 3D Blu Ray?[/citation]

ATI cards won't work, they have not yet announced a way to support Blu-ray 3D.

You can, however, get any 3D Vision compatible GeForce card, like a GTX 260 or 275. These cards will play back Blu-ray 3D, they just won't accelerate the decoding process, which means you'll need a decent CPU... like a 3 GHz triple-core or 2.5 GHz quad-core.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
But are you sure the playback will be smooth and natural? Don't you think ATI will have some type of solution for 3D Blu Ray playback at some point?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]LarryJones1[/nom]But are you sure the playback will be smooth and natural?[/citation]

Well, yes... I tested it out with a GTX 260. Check page 10 of this review. :)

[citation][nom]LarryJones1[/nom]Don't you think ATI will have some type of solution for 3D Blu Ray playback at some point?[/citation]

I do think so, but I have no idea how long that will take or what form it will be. I'm not getting the impression ATI will be backing an alternative to 3D Vision, it seems more likely they might support televisions that have proprietary 3D glasses, like Samsung TVs. If this is the way they go, they might have an alterbnative to Nvidia's 3DTV play, but I'm not sure if games will work with it.

The announcements that AMD has made seem to indicate that they're opening up their drivers to 3rd party 3D developers like iZ3D and DDD, but neither of those companies have announced Blu-ray 3D plans. So ATI's counterpart to 3D Vision might be a long way off yet. It's possible they have something up their sleeve, if this is the case we might hear something from Computex soon. If we don't, it's probably a long way off...

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm confused to why the writer claims the only way to have full resolution 3d bluray is to use the nvidia kit and glasses with a 120hz LCD monitor.
One could use a HDMI 1.4 3d display (plasma, lcd, or projector), with nvidia's 3dtv play software. You wouldn't need the nvidia glasses, rather the glasses that match your 3d display. HDMI 1.4 framepacking works with 1080p24.
There you go, you need an NVIDIA card, and the 3d drivers with the 3dtv play software. but you DON"T need the nvidia 3d kit. and you DON"T need a 120hz LCD monitor.
Personally I think plasma 3DTV's deliver the best motion performance.

cyberlink

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]I'm confused to why the writer claims the only way to have full resolution 3d bluray is to use the nvidia kit and glasses with a 120hz LCD monitor.One could use a HDMI 1.4 3d display (plasma, lcd, or projector), with nvidia's 3dtv play software. You wouldn't need the nvidia glasses, rather the glasses that match your 3d display. HDMI 1.4 framepacking works with 1080p24.There you go, you need an NVIDIA card, and the 3d drivers with the 3dtv play software. but you DON"T need the nvidia 3d kit. and you DON"T need a 120hz LCD monitor.Personally I think plasma 3DTV's deliver the best motion performance.[/citation]
Hixbot,
At this moment, on a PC, the only way to support full resolution Blu-ray 3D is to use an NVIDIA 3D Vision display (both Acer and Alienware have full 1080P 120 Hz displays). HDMI 1.4 output from a PC is not available at this moment... although it is announced and coming soon from NVIDIA. Once HDMI 1.4 output is available, you can use your PC powered with NVIDIA graphics to enjoy full quality Blu-ray 3D on an HDMI 1.4 capable 3D TV or display.

I tend to agree with your last sentence also.

Tom Vaughan
Cyberlink

G

Hi all,
Last month I bought an Acer GD235HZ 1080p 120Hz monitor and NVidia's 3D Vision. I tried it out with some games (Batman Arkham Asylum looks awesome in 3D), and some 3D video clips found around the internet.

Then, just recently all the pieces fell in place for enjoying Blu-ray 3D on my computer. I purchased Arksoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum with the 3D Plug-in for $87 (after finding a 20% off coupon online - regular price would have been $109). I was concerned that my computer might not be able to handle Blu-ray 3D (Core 2 Duo 6420 overclocked to 2.93 GHz, GeForce GTX 275, 6x Blu-ray burner), but I installed the brand new GeForce and 3D drivers 257.21, and I bought the first retail 3D Blu-ray (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) on Tuesday, and everything works perfectly! The 3D effect was awesome!!

I am so happy that I am able to enjoy Blu-ray 3D at home right now without having to upgrade my computer (any more than the minimum components) or having to buy one of the new crazy-expensive 3DTV's out there (with a new Blu-ray player and cables, etc.). If people aren't yet enjoying the benefits of Blu-ray 3D on their PCs, you don't have to wait any longer! Everything you need is available now. Obviously, I can't make any claims that Arksoft's solution is better or worse than PowerDVD's (yet to be released) 3D solution, or any of the other software solutions out there. I just know that it works, and gives me what I was looking for. But if people here want to wait for PowerDVD or WinDVD, etc., then all the power to them. I'm enjoying Blu-ray 3D at home right now!

A little late but...

Yeah, I missed it on your page (Silly me, I followed the link within the application :sarcastic: ) and now that Ultra3D is finally out, it isn't $59.95 for the Ultra3D it's $79.95 now ! :mouais:

pdvdpricing.jpg

BTW here's the direct US link for yours above, no need to bracket it if you're not adding words to replace the link.
http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd/upgrade_en_US.html

Also interesting the link within the application didn't take me to that deal, just the smaller $5 savings I mentioned earlier, wonder why that would be? Probably to maximize customer satisfaction over pricing ... :whistle:

Kinda like the extra $7 for the Canadian version of the Deluxe Power DVD, at least you aren't trying to gouge us for the Ultra3D version being priced the same as the US;

pdvdpricingca.jpg

Still even if it was $60 (which it's not it's $80) ... for a single defining feature difference? No thanks ! :pfff:

How about, like I mentioned earlier, closer to $19.99-24.99 for a software upgrade? Especially since you don't have to manufacture anything and ship it to a store. Seriously, a download for $80 when I can get something built overseas and shipped to my door for nearly the same price that offers firmware updates to add features and you think about 20% off is something laudable? :heink:
Why not simply give my 20% extra to Arcsoft and have both applications with their differing features?

Hope you guys don't waste time wonder why there's piracy. :lol:
Probably many previously loyal paying customers feel they are being raked over the coals and so they join the ranks of those who would never pay for anything ever, reasonably priced or not.

Like I said before, I can afford it, but it's the principle of this, and it's sad that the only alternative to greed and our desire for paying a fair price is to go against your other principles. :??:

So don't get sarcastic with me about what I 'missed', because you guys are missing the bigger picture as BluRay player pricing comes down and other consideration get even simpler; and that's coming from someone who actually paid for your software 3 times already in addition to my OEM versions! :mmmfff:

G

I'm using WinDVD 10 Pro. It plays ALL Blu Ray I used no problems. There is going to be a free patch for Blu Ray 3D. I have DLP projector with 120Hh and soon I will get my glasses. Maybe. I didn't deiced yet if all this 3D is for me...I do have ATI card and I payed for WinDVD $59 :)

oqvist

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
How is it with power DVD MARK II. Does it allow you to convert bluray movies to 3D? I read the article and felt like it should but maybe I got carried away ;) It converts video files amazingly well so you need minimum DVD quality for good results. However the 3D option for bluray movies is greyed out when I try a blurayplayer.. I don´t have any real 3D movies at home either so don´t know if that works. Trying some samples it work amazingly well. A lot better then the 3D Tvs I tried.

If anyone knows any other player that do let you convert bluray players. I suppose it doesn´t matter that I have an old 8800 GTX no GTX 460 or later with hardware acceleration?

oqvist

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
to answer my own question it doesn´t let you convert bluray to 3D only DVD movies. I just got my first bluray3D disc and I haven´t had any luck getting it to play either on my PC.

Demos do work though so it´s some *** with HDCP again it seems

oqvist

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
With Arcsofts Total Media player it let me run Alice in Wonderland bluray 3D. 100$ is there any cheaper bluray 3d players out there? As for my investigation it appears that 8800 GTX some at least may not be hdcp compatible.

azoffmusic

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hi all.

Pls excuse me as we are about to make our first attempt at a 3D PC. Really need your help in letting me know if what we are thinking of buying will give us the 3D viewing experience on our PC.

So far, we have identified a 3D display manufacturer and we have asked them other requirements/recommendations on equipment to along with their display. As a result, we are also going with the NVIDIA 3D Kit plus the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 graphics card. The PC desktop itself will have Intel Quad Core Xeon Chip 3.3GHz with 16GB RAM and a 250GB SSD boot drive and a secondary 1TB SATA drive, and a internal Blu-Ray player. The last piece is PowerDVD 11 which supports 3D.

So is this enough for us to buy a 3D Blu-Ray movie > insert it in the PC's Blu-Ray player, click play in PowerDVD and put on my 3D goggles from NVIDIA 3D Vision Pro?

I ask because there is doubt in our minds if we also need a "3D Blu-Ray player" versus the "regular" Blu-Ray player that is being offered by the PC manufacturer.

Please advise, really need your expert knowledge.

Kindest regards,

~manny

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]azoffmusic[/nom]Hi all. Pls excuse me as we are about to make our first attempt at a 3D PC. Really need your help in letting me know if what we are thinking of buying will give us the 3D viewing experience on our PC. So far, we have identified a 3D display manufacturer and we have asked them other requirements/recommendations on equipment to along with their display. As a result, we are also going with the NVIDIA 3D Kit plus the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 graphics card. The PC desktop itself will have Intel Quad Core Xeon Chip 3.3GHz with 16GB RAM and a 250GB SSD boot drive and a secondary 1TB SATA drive, and a internal Blu-Ray player. The last piece is PowerDVD 11 which supports 3D.So is this enough for us to buy a 3D Blu-Ray movie > insert it in the PC's Blu-Ray player, click play in PowerDVD and put on my 3D goggles from NVIDIA 3D Vision Pro?I ask because there is doubt in our minds if we also need a "3D Blu-Ray player" versus the "regular" Blu-Ray player that is being offered by the PC manufacturer.Please advise, really need your expert knowledge.Kindest regards,~manny[/citation]

1. If all you want to do is watch 3D Blu-rays from your PC, the GTX 580 is incredible overkill. You will see absolutely no benefit over an $80 GT 430 unless you plan to play games.

2. Secondly, if all you're doing is watching 3D Blu-rays on a 3D Television, the Radeon HD 6000 series is now just as good as GeForce cards. That opens you up to the $60 Radeon 6450 and other options.

3. If you want to play games in addition to movies, the GeForce GTX 580 is a great high-end choice, especially if you want to use a monitor instead of a television.

4. I'm not sure what kind of display you're talking about, and that's where it gets tricky.

If it's a consumer 3D Television (samsung, etc) then you will need the following:
- 3D glasses from the manufacturer specifically for that television (3D Vision glasses won't work)
- A Blu-ray drive for your PC
- Blu-ray 3D playback Software (like PowerDVD 11)
- A Radeon 6000 series or GeForce GT 430, 440 or 500 series card
- If you're using a GeForce card you'll need to spend a few dollars on Nvidia 3DTV Play software. Radeon cards do not require this.

If it's a 3D Vision compatible display then you will need the following:
- A 3D Vision kit from Nvidia, including glasses.
- A Blu-ray drive for your PC
- Blu-ray 3D playback Software (like PowerDVD 11)
- A GeForce GT 430, 440 or 500 series card

That's it. Good luck!

azoffmusic

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
HI Cleeve,

Initially, I can see watching 3D Blu-Ray movies and 3D games. I want to go on the higher end of components for both "best" performance and for potential future applications that I might want to start using.

You asked about the display...Its Planar's SA2311W 23" 3D Vision Ready Monitor. You can go to www.planar.com > click Stereoscopic 3D Displays. We are bringing in an evaluation unit to test drive.

Additionally, we are bringing in PT2285PW 22" Wide Multi-touch screen monitor (on their site under Touch Screens > Projected Capacitive).

The complete configuration is one touch and one 3D display in dual monitor spanning mode so we can drag data/image between the two monitors, and use touch screen on one while the other can do 3D.

This is another reason why we are going with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (it has 2 dual DVI connections for each monitor and Planar recommended and have tested with their displays). They also told us to go with NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit for the same reasons, and we have no problem with these purchases.

So with the additional information I provided, do you think I am "Good to Go"???

- Planar's 3D monitor (certified with NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit)
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (including receiver and glasses)
- "regular" built-in Blu-ray drive for the PC
- PowerDVD 11 (Blu-Ray 3D playback software)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Thanks for your help.

~manny

cleeve

Illustrious
Looks like you're good to go!

Although I would suggest looking into the Acer HN274H... it's a 27" monitor that has the 3D Vision emitter built in, and comes with a pair of 3D Vision glasses:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009300&Tpk=HN274H

It's more expensive, but remember you don't have to pay an extra $150 for a 3D Vision kit!
In the end you get a 27" monitor for slightly more cash, and 3D is a dish best served large.

azoffmusic

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Cleave,

All your knowledge and insight is a "tremendous" help. Thank you again.

I am not a fan of Acer at all. It comes down to their Customer Service and Tech Support or lack of. Enough said.

Initially, I was thinking of TWO 27" but not enough real estate on my desk. I currently have two 21" regular LCDs. I am upgrading to a 24" 3D and a 22" Touch screen. Installing them on a dual side-by-side arm. I NEED the two monitors versus one large, so that I can better multi-task (i.e. one monitor has my communications and production tools (email, IM, videoconferencing, internet browsing, word processing, spreadsheet, etc.), while the other monitor can be dedicated to either movies or games when I need it.

:-D

Thanks again!

~manny

G

If anyone is still watching, will the 120Hz output drive a 3D ready DLP projector connected as the main display via a VGA cable?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]insx[/nom]If anyone is still watching, will the 120Hz output drive a 3D ready DLP projector connected as the main display via a VGA cable?[/citation]

Yes!

G

Comical listening to some of you... 3d is not a fad simply BECAUSE it's going to find its way into every single home over the next decades to come.

Granted not everyone will LIKE 3d and there will always be ways to watch the moves in 2d and that is your right but calling it a fad is simply not true..

3d used to be a fad in the movies... they'd toss out a 3d movie every few years but the success of imax and the access to 3d tv's for cheap and the quality getting better every generation... it isn't going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.