Question Blu-Ray Drive(s) Not Working 100%

May 26, 2019
First, apologies if this is not the right subforum, I am new here so if this is the wrong place, let me know and i'll move this question there...

On my HTPC I have a blu-ray drive (2 actually). Here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YWMCA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4MYGCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both of these drives are experiencing the same problem on my HTPC. I've been using this machine (and that first reader) for years now ripping blu-rays for my plex library. Recently when i insert a blu-ray the PC show 'no disc inserted' for the drive. I thought it was hardware related on the first reader, so I bought the second one. Same problem.

Then I put a few older discs in (both blu-ray and dvd) and it seems like the readers are not having a problem on all discs, just some. I haven't fully vetted this but perhaps only 'newer' discs.

Next I thought after researching that the drives could be having a problem reading new blu-rays due to the firmware being out of date. today i updated the firmware on the first reader (the second one doesnt appear to have an update i can find) and even after successfully updating it, the problem still exists.

I'm at a loss, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciate.

May 26, 2019
good question, i didnt know there were differences between BD disks. How would I know? Is there something on the disk itself indicating that? One of them was Ready Player One, the other was the latest Jurassic Park. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time.

May 26, 2019
ill check the disc itself, i dont have the packaging just the dics (but it is the original not a copy). however, the 2nd link up there (the external drive i just bought 2 weeks ago) says in it "Super Reading Blu-ray DVD CD 3D 4K Discs" which would seem to me if it says 3D/4k it should read it (but I honestly dont think this disc is anything but a normal bluray).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I had a similar issue with an Asus BR-RW and an Asus DVD-RW on my pc. Ended up having to reinstall a full set of codecs since I had nothing BR capable and updating the motherboard chipset drivers including the USB family, Sata and pcie to fully recognise the drives as actually being drives on windows.

May 26, 2019
so i replaced the drive with an internal BDRW drive, changed nothing about my windows install and the discs now read fine. my conclusion is that the old BDRW drive (and the new external BDRW drive) have bad firmware (both of which have no manuf firmware updates available). thanks for all the help folks.