blu-ray monitor??

revenuer

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I'm going to be buying a new monitor very soon and i'll be switching to vista about the same time. How do I figure out what lcd monitor will display blu-ray movies if I buy a bd-rom drive? I understand i could buy a small hdtv, but price holds me up there. I would like to find a 22" lcd that will be hdcp compliant. Do i look for hdmi or dvi inputs on the monitor or do I look for the 720p or 1080i/p display. I just don't know.

thanks,
Revenuer

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Two things, first look for hdmi. Second look for one that has 1200 vertical resolution and does 1 to 1 pixel mapping, this means it'll have very small horizontal bars on the top and bottom when displaying 1080p.

The reason for the second is that widescreen monitors are 16:10 while hdtvs are 16:9.

You will need to buy a 24" or larger PC LCD monitor which will have 1920 x 1200 resolution. Anything smaller will have lower resolution which means HD video will be scaled down to fit the screen, thus loosing some video quality.

Note: The Lenovo ThinkVisions L220x is a 22" LCD and it is the only PC LCD less than 24" that is capable of displaying 1920 x 1200 resolution. All other 22" LCD monitors have 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Your video card must HDCP enabled as well as the monitor you intend on buying.

The Editor-in-Chief merely stated:

You are going to see "all" displays migrate towards16:9 due to the cost of making them being much lower. I have seen the E2200HD in person and was pretty blown away by it running Blu-ray content. WOW!

That is it. There is no review or tests done to it. It is his own opinion of the monitor which is not based on objective results other than seeing it in person.

Besides, what's wrong with the black bars anyways? All they're doing when they eliminate those is removing the pixels, meaning you actually get less resolution than a 16x10 1920x1200 display.

glacco

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
@jaguarskx: So what's wrong with a personal recommendation from somebody who is supposed to know the topic??

@cjl: Right. But I read an article recently that Full HD 16:9 is a non-reversible trend and in a few years the majority of all laptop and desktop screens will have 16:9 monitors. Which is due to the fact that manufacturers can produce 16:9 panels cheaper than 16:10 panels (as they can cut more of them out of a raw-material glas panel).
So it's no fault to jump on that train now if it is going to come anyway.